Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2004, 02:36 PM

Default \"Keeping the pot small\" concept from TPFAP

Hi everybody, I'm new to tournaments and I just started reading TPFAP. In it, Sklansky explains that keeping the pot small can be advantageous because your opponent(s) won't chase as much, and their hand will be easier to read based on their actions in a small pot. All of this makes a lot of sense to me but I was also under the impression that you should almost never limp preflop in tournament play.
Can someone explain to me how to apply this concept?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: \"Keeping the pot small\" concept from TPFAP

I just figured that keeping the pot small meant not making it very large. For insance, say you raise 3 or 4 times the size of the big blind and get a caller. Usually, don't lead out on the flop with a bet 2 or 3 times the size of the pot.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: \"Keeping the pot small\" concept from TPFAP

It means don't get into a reraise war pre-flop...A good player would rather see the flop before he gets all in then get all in with a hand preflop. Unless of course that hand is something like AA or KK. See the flop where your superior abilities have a chance to actually do something, and don't play for the coin flips.

Now, I don't mean to be affraid of getting money in pre-flop when you have the best of it. I mean to try and avoid it if possible.