Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Terrorism not declining...

I just read this (linked from Drudge).

[ QUOTE ]
The State Department acknowledged Thursday it was wrong in reporting terrorism declined worldwide last year, a finding used to boost one of President Bush's chief foreign policy claims - success in countering terror.

Instead, both the number of incidents and the toll in victims increased sharply, the department said...

[/ QUOTE ]

Full article:
Article
Old 06-11-2004, 10:12 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default ...but Putin agrees that Bush is doing it right.

Putin Takes Bush's Side Against Democrats
Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: ...but Reagan liked jelly beans

Well if Putin agrees with Bush, then I guess it's okay that they sold the public on the false notion that worldwide terrorism was decreasing.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:35 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default ...but my Dad liked Pork Rinds

We can only do so much against terrorism, after all the terrorists don't stop just because we want them to.

At least I am fighting them, the Dems would have us just give up.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: ...but my Dad liked Pork Rinds

I'm not saying that we should already expect a decline in terrorism. I just expect that the administration doesn't make sh*t up and tell us that there is a decline in terrorism when they have no clue whether there is or isn't.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:27 AM

Default ...but Osama prefers the taste of Children

Why must we assume it is deliberate misinformation?

They adjust government figures all the time, but only if one has a predisposition to dislike the administration does one assume a dastardly misinformation campaign.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: ...but Osama prefers the taste of Children

You don't have to assume it was dastardy misinformation (I don't) to be pissed off about it. That statistic was widely used to "prove" that the war on terror was working. It's one of those bits of information that was so widely disseminated that you can't really unring the bell now by providing the truth.

The other thing that you should be mad about is that we still don't know the correct information. Terrorism might be decreasing, it might be increasing. We don't know. Doesn't it anger you just a bit that the department of homeland security doesn't have correct information on this readily available? It angers me.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Default ...but Kerry prefers Frenchie food

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it anger you just a bit that the department of homeland security doesn't have correct information on this readily available?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would anger me more to find out that the Department was wasting resources trying to get a statistic down to 3 decimal points, rather than focusing on stopping the next terrorist attack.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: ...but Kerry prefers Frenchie food

[ QUOTE ]
It would anger me more to find out that the Department was wasting resources trying to get a statistic down to 3 decimal points

[/ QUOTE ]

That might anger me too, unfortunately that's not what was at issue here. What was at issue here was that the original numbers didn't include all of 2003 and the report showed a "virtual disappearance of attacks in which no one died."

The more you try to spin this, the more it appears that you favor a misinformed electorate.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Can you spell \"Chechnya\" ?

"Putin Takes Bush's Side Against Democrats."

Yeah, right. What a strong witness for the defense!

Putin is currently putting down (for the umpteenth time) the rebellion in Chechnya. Gorbachev mishandled it, Yeltsin mishandled it, and Putin will mishandle it.

So as long as the West, with the U.S. most prominently, is willing to call the Chechens' struggle a "terrorist act", the man in charge of Russia will be singing whatever song the White House wants to hear about terrorism.

(But not about Iraq!)