Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 01:07 AM

Default AQs in BB - tell me what to do

Local poker room tournament. My stack is slightly less than average at about 1800. Blinds are currently 100/200 and I was just moved to this table.

I get AQs in BB. Two early limpers to a guy in MP who raises it to 500. I decide to smooth call(good or bad?) and one of the limpers calls. Three to the flop of Q 10 3 rainbow. EP checks, raiser bets 500 into 1700 pot. I think about what I should do for about 45 seconds and some old grumpy guy calls the clock on me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] So I am left with a minute and 1400 chips. Next move is...
Old 06-11-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Re: AQs in BB - tell me what to do

uhhh..... all-in. It's not close.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:26 AM

I'd just push the rest of my chips probably
Old 06-11-2004, 01:21 PM

Isn't this one of those situations where if you go all-in, the only way he will call you is if he has you beat?
Old 06-11-2004, 01:54 PM

We can't possibly be expected to think you checked that flop? That is one of the worst plays i've read about in a long time. You also cannot possibly fold unless the dude shows you aces with ten seconds left. You have to move in right away on your turn, not wait for this crazyness, and if you are goinhg to wait for this crazyness, then it is supposed to be what you wanted. You move in, but don't wait next time.

Pre-flop is bad too, move in or fold with that sized stack.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:56 PM

A: if he's bad it is most certainly not one of those situations, he could easily call with something like AK or pocket jacks, certainly if he has KQ he would call, however unlikely.

B: it doesn't matter because it's a tournament, and he is going to go all in and hope that no one calls
Old 06-11-2004, 01:57 PM

I'd push...a bet of 500 into a 1700 pot isn't terribly strong. If you call, you're committing over a third of your chips. Calling wouldn't necessarily be terrible since you may be able to induce more bets, since the only cards I fear are a K or J. However with your stack size, I would want to take the pot there.

No, this is not one of those spots where if he calls you're beat. You would be putting 1400 in a 2200 pot, giving the raiser a little worse than a 3:1 to call. You're ahead of a decent number of hands that would call in this spot.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:10 PM

I missed what was so awful about check-raising the flop. It certainly seems like a reasonable play to me.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:14 PM

I don't think checking a 3-way flop to the raiser is terribly bad in early position. I think I would check-raise all-in every time when not leading out with given situation. Depends on what my reads of the other players are in leading or check-raising this hand and flop.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Easy Check / raise here. I almost always check to the initial raiser, because 90% of the time, he's going to lead out with a bet. If I just push, he can get away with bluffing at it.

gc