Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 03:13 PM

Default timing the blinds

Sometimes in a SNG or MTT I realize that the blinds are about to increase, and if I'm UTG or UTG+1 I might try to act as fast as possible so that I can hopefully take the blinds (or at least the BB) at the current lower level. I'm not talking about changing my play - just hitting the fold button as fast as I can. It seems clear to me that this is a good idea when my stack is short relative to the blinds. Are there times when it's not a good idea? I have this vague memory of reading somewhere that a good tournament player actually will show a profit in the blinds, but I have no idea if that's true or not (and whether I'm a good player or not is another can of worms entirely). It just occurred to me recently that I might be thinking of this too simply.

So ... would you ever prefer to take the blinds after they've increased?

On the other end of the table, I assume that being on the button or cutoff is a profitable place to be, so that if I'm in the SB and everyone folds to me and I'm going to fold and I know that the blinds are going up in a few seconds, I should pause a few seconds to wait for the new blind levels? Again, am I thinking about this too simply?

Let's ignore the question of whether it's rude to pause intentionally ... I'll make that judgement independently.

thanks

-Huge