Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 12:20 AM

Default When to give up the overpair....

5/10 at PartyPoker, fairly typical game.

In SB w/ AA. UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, I raise, BB and limpers all call.
Flop: 8h7h5s
I bet, BB and UTG+1 fold, MP1 raises, MP2 and CO call, I 3bet, MP1 raises, MP2 and CO call and I call.
Turn: 6s (8h7h5s)
I check, MP1 bets, MP2 and CO call, I call. (I think this is where I start to mess this up, but I couldn't believe there wasn't a raise, so I thought perhaps I was in OK shape to counterfeit 2 pair here and the flush wasn't in yet...)
River: 6h (6s8h7h5s)
I check, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, CO folds, I can't bring myself to fold in this massive pot, so I call.

I very clearly made some bad plays in this hand, but I'm trying to pinpoint where things got bad and where I should have done something differently.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Re: When to give up the overpair....

MP1 made his flush on the river and MP2 had a 6 and he was trying to make a straight but hit trips. Well played, I think the crying call on the river is in order, huge pot.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:36 AM

Default Re: When to give up the overpair....

It looks like a 20 BB pot on the end, and you have to call a bet on the turn and river. Will one really big pair win here 10 percent of the time? Well...as you say you are in good shape to counterfeit a two pair and the flush hasn't gotten there yet! Power of positive thinking! Good!!

Honestly, I think absent a raise on the turn, and you got to call the river, calling down in a 20BB pot online is certainly not a huge mistake...is it? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I tell you what, for those that say fold the turn, have them imagine that they folded, and then they see the showdown...if they think, "thank God, I WAS beat", they probably should have called since they had some doubt and were praying to see that nine. If they have to sweat, they weren't sure enough to fold. heh.