Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Checking your hole cards

What do you guys think about the benefit of checking your cards by peeking at them one at a time as opposed to lifting up their corners simultaneously and viewing them together? I am speaking of your reaction to your cards that might be picked up on by an opponent. It is my belief that viewing your cards one at a time allows you to mute your reaction when you are staring down at a big starting hand. Any thoughts or do you guys think I'm nuts?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Checking your hole cards

When you look at them one at a time, it gives anyone watching you twice the opportunity for a tell than if you look at them simultaneously.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Checking your hole cards

I absolutely agree with Andy.

Looking at your cards is one of those skills that must be absolutely mastered because it comes up literally every hand. Deal yourself awesome starters at home if you have to, but develop a good neutral technique for reading your own hand.

As a side point to this, I read a suggestion in another thread to not actually look at your cards, the first time you lift the corners. Watch the others, as they will not know that you are watching them and their reactions will be genuine.

I haven't personally found this to be particularly helpful yet, but maybe I'm just not good at it yet... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]