Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Trying to change my weak tight ways.....

So I'm trying to be more aggressive.

The problem I'm having is knowing when to finally back down and check fold. I keep thinking that "they will fold on the Turn when the bets double"

On the other hand, if I fold I worry that my weak-tight wuss mode is kicking in.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (5.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+2 shows Ks 2s (one pair, twos).
Hero shows Qh Kc (high card, ace).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 5.66 BB. </font>

How he stays beyond the turn is beyond me. But I think some people get so far and then decide that they are staying in till the end.

Should I have gone to Check fold mode on the turn? My position cost me on this hand and perhaps this hand went to hell when I did not fold preflop.

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Trying to change my weak tight ways.....

Well played.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:17 PM

I don't blame your play much at all. With high cards which don't hit on the flop in a heads up pot, I like to either bet the turn/check the river or check the turn/fold the river unimproved.

I usually go for the free turn card as a checkraise from your opponent would put you in a very poor spot. Also, take the free card when it is expensive. The turn check might induce a bet from your opponent on the river which can be raised for value if you hit your card. If not, it is an easy fold.

But, heads up play with unimproved high cards and position can never be played a certain "right" way. It is all player dependant which should be based on reads and flop textures.

Haupt_234
Old 06-08-2004, 09:21 PM

I'd play it the same, which really doesn't mean a lot though.

[ QUOTE ]
My position cost me on this hand and perhaps this hand went to hell when I did not fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not playing that hand that way pre-flop is a bad idea imo.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:34 PM

i play it exactly the same...given what your opponent actually had you like the turn call, many players will call you down to the river in attempt to make any kind of pair, no matter what the previous action or how scary the board is...there is nothing you can do if they call you down with nothing and pair on the river, you are bettign while ahead and you check behind on the river when you are behind (or many times your KQ will take this pot)
Old 06-09-2004, 02:15 AM

thanks for the replies. While this nite was a poor one, with similar hands, I felt that I leaked a lot of chips in not letting go of hands earlier.

let me post a couple of more...