Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 PM

Default When NOT to slowplay the absolute nuts

5-10 holdem. VERY aggressive game. People capping with 87s and the like preflop. Raises galore after the flop with overcards, draws, second pair, etc. Six handed.

I open raise UTG with TT. Before I am even done raising two others have beat into the pot with reraise and cap. I call, three ways.

Flop is great, but not perfect. Td 9d 3c. SB (the capper) bets into me. I immediately raise. The button cold calls and the SB reraises, I cap, button calls, sb calls.

Turn the case T giving me quads. SB bets. I RAISE. Button COLD CALLS, sb calls.

river whatever. I bet they both called.

Moral of the story:

Don't slowplay in a highly aggressive game no matter how good your hand.

al
Old 06-08-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: When NOT to slowplay the absolute nuts

Very true. May seem obvious but I know when I first started out I would try to get cute with big hands in very aggro games.

It's just giving away money. In fact, some players will see your bet as a challenge and throw in a raise when they may not bet if checked to.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

It's still a good idea to keep track of how they percieve you throughout a session. If you're only playing very tight standards, eventually they will stop jamming with you. They may call, but wont give 'excessive' action.

'Nut' players, eventually, dont get near the action that others will. This is also more relevant to live games since the turnover on a table isnt as high in general, but is valid in online also.

b
Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 PM

VERY GOOD POINT! I can't tell you how tempting it can be to slow play those monster flops in a agressive game, but people will call. The pot gets big, people's "gambling instinct" kicks in and they play for the jackpot with much more of a disregard to their odds.

I also believe (unless it's top set with no flush possibilities) to push my flopped set on a medium aggression table. There seems to always be a player or two who will call because they want to "just see the cards."
Old 06-08-2004, 08:14 PM

One small comment although not a big deal... why not limp first in with the TT when you know its gonna get jammed anyway?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's still a good idea to keep track of how they percieve you throughout a session. If you're only playing very tight standards, eventually they will stop jamming with you. They may call, but wont give 'excessive' action.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience with online play, the average player you will encounter over the internet is so incredibly stupid that such concerns are absolutely unwarranted. When players at a table are constantly "making moves" they are not going to stop just because you showed down a few strong hands.

Besides, I generally play loose enough not to be seen as a nut player (to like the grand total of three people on the internet who might actually be paying attention to something beyond the tip of their own nose).

al
Old 06-09-2004, 07:03 AM

Always try to win a pot that is already big as fast as you can. Slow playing in NORMALLY not a good idea because the average Net player will put the $$ in no matter what he see's.

in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:37 PM

just to chime in with what everyone else was saying, great advice! i was replying to the post "difference between live and online games..." and i was thinking this exact point. Online players seem to be much more loose with their money and more likely to call whatever and due to this anonymous environment with numbers and not chips (which I think has something to do with the horrible calls I see) I have found it much more profitable to bet big with a great hand rather than slow play and not maximize my winnings. Also, i see too many classic fish that bet big when they're folding and act meek when they've got a great one, even more of a reason to bet big when holding something good, because of course they will call anything just to hit their river card.