Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 12:44 PM

Default PLO - opinions on betting with the nuts wanted

I'm a newcomer to PLO (and pretty much a newcomer to any type of Omaha high). I've read the Ciaffone Omaha book but when I play I literally have that thing open in my lap for guideance.

Playing $.5/1 PLO at Paradise the other day this situation presented itself to me on my first hand. I post in the cutoff and am dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - normally a hand I'd muck outside the blinds and there are 2 callers and no raises before me. Button folds and both blinds also call so 5 of us see the flop of:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Under the gun bets the pot. All fold to me and I just call but both blinds still fold so we are heads up for the turn.

Another club the 5 falls and UTG again comes out firing, betting the pot. He has doubled his buyin previously, apparently by being very aggressive. I considered a raise here but wasn't sure how much he would call. What should my thinking be here? At this point I'd put him on a smaller flush but he may also have a redraw to a boat. If he also has is holding trips then there is about a 25% chance of the board pairing so do I pot it back on the chance he has redraws or try to milk a lower flush? I ended up betting half the pot and got called.

The river is a blank and it is checked to me and I again bet half the pot and get called.

Any thoughts on the play of the hand or the way you would have played it differently are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 PM

Default you played it wisely

In general, get as much as you can without betting the pot......
give no indication you have the nuts!

(your photo is horrid)
Old 06-08-2004, 04:01 PM

Default are there many PLO and Limit Omaha games going at Paradise?

please tell me something about the Paradise games and other good Omaha sites............
Old 06-08-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: PLO - opinions on betting with the nuts wanted

Not knowing THAT much about PLO (high only, right?), I would have called the flop to get the blinds to come along, but when the board does not pair on the turn, I would have raised the pot right back there. If he's got the set, you don't want to give him a cheap shot at a full house. If he calls anyways and hits, well you can start counting your Sklansky dollars there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2004, 12:47 AM

Default \"Sklansky dollars \" nice turn of phrase (N/M)

MKR
Old 06-09-2004, 05:01 AM

I like your smooth call on flop (to invite other two guys to contend for the pot) but I'd certainly raise the pot on the turn. My thoughts are as follows:
UTG has either Quinn high flush or a set (playing online I see it pretty much that players bet out aggressively with top set even when there is a flush on the board).
If he has a set, just put him all-in since you're 3 to 1 favorite here and you do not want to guess what to do if the board paired on the river (especially if you both still have enough money - in this case you're good target for bluffing).
If he has a baby flush he is likely to call your pot raise (although it very depends on a player who bets and any reads on him are very helpful).
Anyway I would protect my hand by pot raise on the turn (if UTG don't have a straight flush, of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but in this case 90% of players would check to you). IMHO.
By the way, what did he have?
Old 06-09-2004, 07:45 AM

Hi Tiltboy,

In your post, you don't mention the size of your and your opponent's stack - not even once. This is almost always an important consideration in how to play the hand. With relatively shallow money (say, 50xBB or so) I would say: just raise on the turn. Because this bet puts you all-in or close to it, you will probably get called by the most likely hands for the bettor (queen- or jack-high flush or, also possible, a set). With much deeper money, other considerations apply, and other plays than the ones discussed here (flatcall flop / flatcall again on turn, flatcall flop, raise turn) should probably be considered. However, this being online, with you just playing your first hand, I assume the money can't be that deep, and thus your play should be fairly simple: raise it on the turn when there is still reasonable doubt for the bettor as to whether or not you have the hand you are representing.

Rolf Slotboom
www.acespeaks.cjb.net
Old 06-09-2004, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, I assume the money can't be that deep, and thus your play should be fairly simple: raise it on the turn when there is still reasonable doubt for the bettor as to whether or not you have the hand you are representing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Smooth-call the flop, raise on the turn screams I have the nuts. There are several reasons to make your move on the turn here, but deception is NOT one of them.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Tiltboy,

In your post, you don't mention the size of your and your opponent's stack - not even once.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry Rolf I thought it was implied in the post. This was for a $50 max buy-in PLO game at Paradise ($.5/1 blinds) and this was my first hand so my stack was $50. In the post I mentioned my opponent had doubled his buy-in which was a round about way of saying his stack was $100.

Thanks very much for your thoughts on the hand. I'll try and respond once I've digested them.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 PM

I am not a veteran, but I hate slowplaying in Omaha. I agree that the flop call was ok, but A max re-raise on the turn is a must.

I probably would have bet the flop too.

Reasons:

1: Your opponent will put in more money when drawing - he probably wouldn't call any kind of bet on the river with just a set.

2: He may shut down after a flat call on the flop - if he is smart.

Fortunately, you were playing a moron. You ever play any of the games on UB? Juha Helpi and Devilfish play 5/10 PL sometimes. UB also had a 100x max buy-in instead of 50.