Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 07:54 PM

Default AA: did i play this wrong?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Button ($45.40)
Hero ($47.35)
BB ($44)
UTG ($41)
MP ($88.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP raises to $5, Button calls $5, Hero raises to $15, BB folds, MP calls $10, Button calls $10.

Flop: ($46) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets $32.35 (All-In), MP calls $32.35, Button folds.

Turn: ($110.70) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($110.70) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $110.70

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad As (two pair, aces and threes).
MP shows 4d 4h (full house, fours full of threes).
Outcome: MP wins $110.70. </font>

whoops forgot to add my comments.....
i know the idea that if anyone calls such a big bet you are usually behind but i figured i would get called by KK-1010 and i just couldn't see anyone calling a big reraise w/ a small pocket pair...obviously i was wrong but was my all in here the right move in the long run?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: AA: did i play this wrong?

How could you be playing this wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

You made a significant raise before the flop, and the guy with a small pocker pair got lucky to spike a set on the flop. He didn't, however, have correct odds to make that call. Add his name to your buddy list -- tough beat, but you gotta move on.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:03 PM

i know my preflop play was right...just wondering about the all in on the flop...
Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 PM

of course its right. yoru stack wasnt even the size of the pot on the flop, theres no way your folding here. to get all your money in, you only have to be best like 1/4 of the time on the flop to win money in the long run. do you think you are best at least 30% or whatever here? of course you do. he is either on a larger pair, which you are ahead 100%, pocket pair, which you are ahead 7.5/8.5 times, or overcards which you are also ahead of. well, i didnt say this very eloquently, but i think you get my point. no way you are folding this hand here, doing so would be very -EV.

oh yea, pushing was good bc of the draw. you can get fancy sometimes vs some players, but id recommend just pushing these situatoins for now
Old 06-07-2004, 08:57 PM

Well played.

You played the hand textbook - and in the longrun; this is the winning line. The guy made the mistake of calling with the low pockets. Tough beat; but people doing things like this is what makes us money in the long run [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Be happy, add the guy to your buddy/fish list, and keep playing that same line.

-Todd
Old 06-07-2004, 09:53 PM

Lol no. Just unlucky. If a guy's not gonna fold a pair preflop ever, he's going to crack your aces 20% of the time no matter what. Your preflop raise is fine because it takes away their odds to call with a pair, so you want those bad calls.