Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 11:36 PM

Default Correct bet for small tourney?

Playing in a 16 person $20 buy-in tourny...Each player starts with a value of 340 chips.

we have 3 tables of 4 players left about 2 hours in, the blinds have double to smll 32 big 64.

I am chip leader at my table and 2nd overall. I am small blind. The big blind (wayne) is a close 3rd overall chip leader and 2nd at my table.

Right of the dealer folds, dealer folds, I double the big blind with AK off suit. Wayne Calls.

FLOP: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet the minimum 64, he calls and raises 100, I call and reraise 300. Wayne Calls

TURN: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet 100, he raises 100, I bet all-in, This guy had been playing mediocre hands all night, I knew I had him beat with the kicker. He think for about 10 minutes and Calls, this put him all in with 390.

We flip...I have AK off, Wayne Shows K6 off.

RIVER: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Was this just a bad beat or a really bad semi-bluff on my part? Or what else may i have done wrong?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:01 AM

Default what a stupid play!

first, you get your money in when you are ahead. As we all know, home games are rigged, and thus, there is no way you could win.

Also, on a more serious note, you NEVER want him to call with K6 there. You made a terrible play. I would have folded on the flop or even preflop. K6 is just slightly behind to AK on all streets. When the king flops, I generally put my opponents on K6, and even if my cowboys hit their set, I tread carefully.

Seriously, you play bad. Quit poker. Now.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Re: what a stupid play!

If you look closely i'm trying to steal this big blind/semi-bluff. If he calls...good i have a small advantage. Why would I fold preflop when I have the best hand before the flop in a showdown? I probably made a mistake putting him all-in but i made a read that he:
A: Folds and I win a nice pot (most likely) or
B: He calls and I take him out of the tournment and have a dominating chip lead.
C: He gets lucky and catches his miracle hand.(actual outcome)
Old 06-05-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Blatantly incorrect

C: He gets lucky and catches his miracle hand.(actual outcome)

He didn't get lucky! He had PLENTY of outs. ODDS ARE that HE wins the hand! You made an idiotic play to:
A. think he'd fold a K6!
B. Think you AK was good
Old 06-05-2004, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Blatantly incorrect

ODDS ARE HE WINS THAT HAND??

HE WAS BEAT!! TWO CARDS COULD SAVE HIM A 5(STAIGHT) OR A 6(2 PAIR)...I COULD CATCH ANY OTHER CARD IN THE DECK AND WON THAT HAND. A RAISE ON THE PRE-FLOP SHOULD HAVE KNOCKED HIM OUT OR AT LEAST HAD HIM THINKING THAT I COULD HAVE MADE A SET WITH THOSE COWBOYS OR HAD A HUGE KICKER. HE HAD WHAT MOST LIKE TO CALL THE DOMINATED HAND, WHICH GETS BEAT CONSISTANTLY BY HANDS LIKE MINE.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I MAY HAVE BEEN INCORRECT BY PUTTING HIM ALL-IN AFTER THE POT WAS HUGE, BUT HIS CALL WAS STILL INCORRECT(IN MY MIND)...MAYBE IT CLEARS THINGS UP FOR YOU THAT I'M VERY PASSIVE AGGRESIVE, ANY IDIOT AT THAT TABLE KNOWS THAT WHEN I PLAY A HAND OR RAISE, I HAVE SOMETHING.

PEACE
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Correct bet for small tourney?

Sarcasm doesn't translate well in print. What SaintAces is saying (I think), in his own way, is that bad beats happen, and we see a lot of bad beat stories disguised as "did I play this right?" questions. You just haven't been around long enough to see as many as SaintAces has.

I'm a lousy NL player but, I'll throw my $0.02 in. If you were sure about your read, I don't think you played it as well as you could have. I don't like the min raise on the flop, and I don't like the 100 bet on the turn. You didn't play horribly, though. I do like the reraise on the flop and the push on the turn.

You can take some comfort in the fact that there was probably no way to win here. You still want that turn call, though. Poker is about the long run. Most of the time, that six doesn't fall, and you win the pot. You should have contratulated "wayne" on his skillful play and moved on.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:38 AM

Default blatently incorrect

great freaking post!!!

and charlin....you need to learn how to detect sarcasm.
if you thought for a second that he was serious you need to get out more.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Blatantly incorrect

Yeah, now that i read it again it's pretty obvious sarcasm...This is my first post at this website, I think i'll use that as an excuse for my stupidity for now.