Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Where good players have the edge in a Sit and Go.

I'm not by any means close to the best sit and go player on this forum. My numbers are not as good as some of the ones I've seen posted here. I play the $100-$200 sngs on party, and I just felt like too many people, even on here, play sit and gos without capitalizing on golden chances.

The edge in a sit and go, for me, is about stack sizes. The reason I make money, I believe, is because I always take advantage of stack sizes.

Example:

We are four handed. I have T3300, blinds are 200/400. I'm dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. Button has T2800, BB stack is around 3k and UTG has 600 or so.

UTG folds, smart and sharp button raises minumum. I push, zero hesitation, both fold. I add 1200 to my stack that was not there when I started the hand.

Jason, are you nuts? Perhaps. But do you know what the button will fold here? Everything except AA, KK, maybe QQ, maybe AKs. I am not a maniac, and this is the first time in the sit and go I have put up any resistance to a raise from the button.

I could leave you with more examples, but my general rule is this. When you are on the bubble, you can do very well selectively challenging the big stacks in situaitons where they are very unlikely to call you with anything but monster hands. While a lot of players spend their time bullying up the short stacks (which I do a fair amount of), I concentrate for the opportunity to play back at a large stack.

What is my most common finish? First. What is my second most common finish? Fourth.

I believe the chances that you run into the big hand is so small, that over the long run, you will be a much more profitable player making the play I made above.

I'm sure you all disagree, flame away!
Old 06-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Where good players have the edge in a Sit and Go.

selective table bullying is the name of the game. but shhhh lets keep this on the down low. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are four handed. I have T3300, blinds are 200/400. I'm dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. Button has T2800, BB stack is around 3k and UTG has 600 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This play alone shows that you understand the game on a level that is to the point that you will always profit from playing poker.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:52 PM

It also shows that the other players understand the game - except for the guy with 600, what the hell is he waiting for?

Try this move on the 10 dollar tables though.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree, and argue that a play like this has a higher level of success in higher buy in sit and gos, because for this play to work you need a condition:

[ QUOTE ]
the other players understand the game

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You have a better shot of a $200 SNG player tossing a hand like AJ or TT here, than a $10 SNG player. IMO
Old 06-04-2004, 02:57 PM

I agree with you SOMEWHAT.... you can certainly challenge people with aggressive bets...and chip stack is CERTAINLY a factor (I love forcing people in for their exact stack size...and I DO agree that smaller moves on the bubble to buy blinds in key situations is smart as it can move you into a comfortable enough position to just wait for someone else to drop out to put you ITM.

HOWEVER, I disagree in that you should be making these all-in moves on the bubble and risking your whole tournament like that. Sure you've got a good chance of drawing out if the guy does call you....but why risk it. With 4th being your 2nd most common finish, I've gotta say you should work on your bubble play and turn those into at least 3rds....

JMHO.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It also shows that the other players understand the game - except for the guy with 600, what the hell is he waiting for?

[/ QUOTE ]

ive played $10 tables that play much tighter, and or skillful, than some $200. the only difference is really the buy-in. i feel the tightest games are the $100, for some odd reason.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:00 PM

I think that was his point too Jason, but while this play won't neccisarily work as much in the smaller sit and gos the biggest mistake people make in them is folding to much. Even in a $10 sit and go it is very easy to just run over the table towards the end when people are trying to edge into the money.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOWEVER, I disagree in that you should be making these all-in moves on the bubble and risking your whole tournament like that. Sure you've got a good chance of drawing out if the guy does call you....but why risk it. With 4th being your 2nd most likely finish, I've gotta say you should work on your bubble play and turn those into at least 3rds....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I disagree again. The bubble is my friend, not my enemy here. The bubble is why my opponent will fold without a top 5 hand. If we are in the final three, this play is a lot worse. I have no intentions of him calling. And I really think 56s is irrelevant. I can push here with any 2 cards.

Ironically, 56s isn't so bad if my opponent happened to have aces =). Relatively...
Old 06-04-2004, 03:03 PM

Hehe, we could have a discussion about levels and difficulty, this post was not meant to cover that. It's about plays like this and why I really believe SNG players would have much better results if they started to do things like this.