Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 11:42 AM

Default NL Tourney

I will be playing in a NL tourney next week, this is a monthly game with $100 buy and about 85 guys. I think the blinds escalate fairly quickly and a player said it is important to double up early. Hearing this and not knowing how anyone plays other than about 5 guys anyone have any strategy tips for me. Top 8 pay out big money in top 4 i believe.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Re: NL Tourney

I also play in a NL tourny where the blinds increase quickly (every 15min). I don't put any presure to double up on myself, rather I play a little more of a tight/aggressive game and do well and as the field narrows down start fading into more towards the loose end of things. Let me know how you do at yours and what works best for you and maybe I can try it to change up my game.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't put any presure to double up on myself, rather I play a little more of a tight/aggressive game and do well and as the field narrows down start fading into more towards the loose end of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played any of the super quick blind increase tournaments, but in most tourny's the strategy is the complete opposite I believe. Usually I want to see a flop with J9suited on the button in an unraised pot, if it is super cheap to get in. However, I don't want to call with that hand when calling represents a decent portion of my stack(later rounds). Is my thinking generally correct?(Like I said though, I haven't played any tourny's like these)
Old 06-11-2004, 10:11 AM

Well i started out with the strategy of playing tight problem was i never got any cards so before i new it we were on the 3rd level of blinds and i was right around where i started. My first real had i got was AQh UTG went all in and doubled up against pocket 7s...I was able to double up a few more times but as the field dwindled down i was again short stacked with about 2700 chips UTG with the blinds at 600-1200, I found pocket 5s and was busted by pocket kings in 18th out of 70 (top 8 played) I was surprised by how weak the play was a lot of times guys were calling down huge pots and all ins with Ace high or gut shot draws...unfortunately I didn't get any cards to work with but the game was definately beatable.