Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 09:15 AM

Default hand in 3 dollar rebuy tourney

3 dollar plus rebuys to stars 215 last night. I didn't export my hand history so this is from memory. It is later in the tourney top 26 get entries 53 players remain average stack is around 35,000, blinds are 1,500 3,000 i think the ante is 100

I am on the button with a little over 14,000 in chips. It is folded to me and I have J 8 offsuit. small blind has about 24,000 and big blind has about the same stack I do. With over 5,000 in chips in the pot I decide that if i going to try and steal the blinds I have to go all in which would be a tough call for both of those players. Unfortunately Small blind had AKo and caught a straight on the river when the board finished 9 10 6 J Q. My question is does anyone play this differently perhaps wait to have a stronger hand on this orbit since this is a rebuy or is this a correct play because i am short-stacked?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: hand in 3 dollar rebuy tourney

I think you should wait for a better hand. You will get 6 more free looks until your next blind.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't make an argument that either pushing or folding here would be a mistake.

What would I do? It would depend on what I thought about how the table was playing. How have the big and small blind been playing recently? If they have a marginal hand like A3 or 44 would you expect that they would call or fold? How many pots have the rest of the table been playing? If you pass on this opportunity, how likely is it that you'll get another chance to play a pot as the first one in? If it seems like every hand has an early position raiser or a few limpers, then I'd probably want to try to steal here because you might not get another opportunity anytime soon.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:18 AM

My thinking was that the table was playing very tight and if i could take these blinds and possibly one more in the orbit that i would have a little more time to come across a monster. There were 4 or 5 bigger stacks at the table that may be more willing to defend blinds than the other two small stacks. Obviously i chose the wrong time to make a move but i still think i would make the same move if i could replay it but then again i got knocked out.