Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 04:54 AM

Default iffy draw....big pot

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: microbob is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, microbob calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, microbob calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
microbob checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, microbob calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
microbob checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, microbob calls, BB calls.

River: (16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Old 06-04-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: iffy draw....big pot

You gotta think that you're beat here on the Turn with 2 opponents still left.

I understand that pot odds probably dictate a call, but I think I would just save myself the bet.

laceratedsky
Old 06-04-2004, 05:13 AM

ooof... i hate these types of hands.

I say check, and call if it comes back to you for 1 bet, and you are closing the action... it's possible that they are both on overpairs or TPTK or even a set and neither have a heart but i dont think its more than 1-16 possible, especially with the turn raise, and I definitely don't want to get caught in a raising war here.

This just looks like one of those hands where you get plenty of odds to call down at every corner but you may end up being beaten the whole way.

Dan
Old 06-04-2004, 05:14 AM

believe me...the thought crossed my mind.

but.....i don't think the pot-odds lie.

if i only have to call 1 bet here then i'm getting 17:1 on my call.
and i think i might be good more than 6% of the time here warranting a call.

the size of the pot has to be a factor here doesn't it??
Old 06-04-2004, 05:23 AM

River: (16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
microbob checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, microbob calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 18 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 18 BB, between UTG and microbob.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by microbob (18 BB).</font>

Results in white below:
UTG shows Td Ts (three of a kind, tens).
microbob shows 9d 9s (straight, ten high).
Outcome: microbob wins 18 BB.

i showed this hand not only to brag about my extremely lucky win.....but also to receive some of the input that you guys gave.
and also to serve as a reminder (mostly to myself) that virtually any piece of the board is usually worth calling 1 bet in a big pot on the river if you close the action.

here i wasn't closing the action though....so even my call was a bit more dubious with the possibility of the dreaded C/R.

for all we know...BB may have actually folded a heart thinking there was no chance it would be high enough. but based on his PF action one would have to assume he had a high non-heart pair.

these hands are extremely frustrating...because you're 'supposed' to lose them more often than you win .....and it's sometimes hard to determine if you are just throwing in one more bet for the happy winner or if you are actually calling with appropriate pot-odds.

even though i won this pot...i'm still not absolutely sure calling was correct.
if someone else had posted this hand but had folded on the river i might have commented that the fold was probably okay.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:34 AM

WOW. Nice pot Bob. No chance in hell I would have called, but nice pot nevertheless [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

laceratedsky
Old 06-04-2004, 05:47 AM

This looks like it might be one of those "big" pots that would relate to NPA Ed Miller's post.

I think you have to call for 1 bet.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say check, and call if it comes back to you for 1 bet, and you are closing the action...

[/ QUOTE ]

i just thought about this for a sec.

the only way it comes back to mne 'closing the action' is if BB and UTG both call for 1-bet....
in the situation where it has been bet AND called i am guessing it is more likely that one of them has a flush.

the way the hand was played...
check, check, bet.....
then it's back on me with BB still to act.

yes, the C/R is still possible...but since he checked i at least have a chance that he has nothing and is going to fold.

i actually think it's a better sign if it's NOT bet AND called back to me.

if 2 players have actually put money in the pot by the time it comes back to me then i think folding is probably warranted.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:14 AM

I'm a little confused by the turn here. I would have folded this turn; I only see 6 outs [with 5 players, I cannot consider either heart as an out]. Since there are 10 bets, when someone checks, then someone else raises making it 2 bets to draw, it looks like 5:1 to me. I thought you needed like 8:1. I haven't had my coffee yet this morning; being the not-morning person that I am, I may be missing something here.

I agree with calling the river. I would as well, though I'd be a little teary-eyed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (10 BB) 2 (5 players)
microbob checks, BB bets, UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, microbob calls, BB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
With a lot of action and the possibility of BB 3-betting, the possibility of a split pot if you do catch an out, and the possibility that you catch an out and still lose to a flush or better I don't like this turn call. Besides that, you are getting about 6.5:1 pot odds and have only 6 outs that I would consider even remotely clean meaning you are about 6.7:1 to make your hand. I don't like that turn call at all.