Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Black tens against a blind straddler at the Mandalay Bay

10-20 game at the Mandalay Bay. Terrible player to my immediate right. Right now he's in tilting maniac mode so he straddles UTG. I reraise UTG + 1 with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and it's folded back to the maniac who calls (surprise, surprise). The flop comes:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he calls. The turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and he checkraises me. I call the checkraise. The river is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a final board of:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bets, I raise, he calls.

How did I do (especially on the turn and river)?

Luke
Old 06-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Black tens against a blind straddler at the Mandalay Bay

If you're going to checkraise him on the river when the 2 pairs, why not reraise him on the turn? The 2 is not a scare card for him, but it is for you.

With how you played, I would check/call the river.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Default check call the river n/m

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 11:28 AM

With how you played, I would check/call the river.

He's first to act throughout the hand so it was he who checkraised me on the turn and my options on the river are to call his bet, fold or raise.

Luke
Old 06-03-2004, 01:53 PM

Make it to showdown as cheaply as possible.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's folded back to the maniac who calls (surprise, surprise).

[/ QUOTE ]

When a maniac bets or raises, there is not much information, but when a maniac just checks or calls, he is generally telling you he has little. So in this case, count on some low (probably off-suit) cards. No pocket pair for sure.

Given that, I like your river bet. Unless he is pathologically self destructive, the only hands he could hold where he would call when beaten are 8x or 7x or even an 87. (I am assuming he is a true maniac, and therefore doesn’t hold an ace.) These are much more likely than a deuce, and a deuce is all I see that can beat you.

If he has a deuce and wins, you still made the right play.

If he has an Ace and wins; pocket eights, pocket sevens or pocket deuces and wins; or any another pocket pair and loses, then you have misread his maniac status and the river bet was wrong.

Once he just called your river bet, I like the odds he has no deuce, but that information is only available after your decision.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:23 PM

Make it to showdown as cheaply as possible.

Why?
Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 PM

I don't know what some of the other posters are smoking, but I think you played it well.

You could 3-bet him on the turn, since you're very likely ahead of him (and he may have picked up some kind of draw); but since you didn't, the river raise was very nice.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 PM

I hate the river raise. Otherwise, the hand is well played.

He most likely picked up a straight draw, flush draw, 2-pair or pair on the turn. I think it is very unlikely he has an A as he probably would have raised preflop or done something on the flop.

I still think you just call the river though as there way too many drawing hands he could have that he ends up just folding to your raise.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:17 PM

i think luke is saying that if UTG had an A preflop he would have capped it. the fact that this guy is tilting is also important.

obviously, folding the turn is wrong, so the choice is between 3 betting and calling. 3 betting doesn't get this guy to fold a a hand with any outs (therefore 3 betting does not change the outcome of the hand) and should only be done if you think you are ahead. however, calling the turn has UTG leading into you on the river, so you can raise him then if you think your hand is best (like you did) or call if you are unsure. i think calling is fine.

i think you think UTG doesn't have the A, so your hand is best the majority of the time. your raise will virtually always be called if he has one of the 7's or 8's', and sometimes if he has something like 44, although he probably would have capped preflop with that hand.

i think his likely hand is a pair of 8's, maybe 7's, and your hand is good.

but maybe he had and Ace and we both look silly. still i think raising the river is correct.