Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Calling all PLO/8 experts

I just started playing PLO/8 sit & gos as a change of pace. I've played limit O/8, PLO and both forms of stud but PLO/8 threw me for a loop at first. I think I'm getting the hang of it but I'd like to run some thoughts by the experts.

Differences between limit O/8 and PLO/8:

(1) You can play more hands in PLO/8. Particularly hands with good high potential like big pairs and Axs. In limit O/8 you would like all four cards to be working but the tremendous implied odds in PLO/8 allow you to be looser preflop. Assuming you play well postflop, of course.

(2) High hands have more value than in limit O/8 because you're a lot less likely to be quartered with a high hand. In pot-limit, being quartered (or worse) hurts a lot more than in limit O/8.

(3) Low hands have less value than in limit O/8. You can't feel too good about putting all your money in with just a low hand, particularly if you may get counterfeited.

(4) As in PLO, it's often ok to wait until the turn before you commit your chips (unless you have a very strong two-way hand). This is different from limit O/8 where there can be a ton of action on the flop. Similarly, no hand is that big a favorite over another preflop.

Is this pretty much right or is there something I'm missing?