Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 04:09 PM

Default A good bluff?

Party $50 max buy in NLHE 10 handed with a $1 BB.

Folded to me and I open for $4 in the CO -1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Button cold calls and everyone else folds. I have a stack of around $100 that came from a hand about a lap ago where I had raised AA before the flop and check raised the flop in a heads up pot with the same player. He paid me off with TPTK to the river. He has about $40.

The flop comes down Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets $7. I check raise to $20 straight. After a brief hesitation he calls.

The turn comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

I bet $20 which is enough to set him in should he call. Well played?

I will post my thoughts and the results later.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: A good bluff?

I don't like it.

The 6 is not a bad card for hands like top pair or even a pair of jacks or tens or something like that. It only completes a bizarre straight that you clearly don't have, and completes the rainbow making a flush impossible. He showed on the flop that he was going to stay put. He feels good about his hand here. Underbetting the pot whether it puts him in or not is not going to push him out when you made a pretty good checkraise on the flop.

Also if your plan is to put him in if a brick comes on the turn then you should have checkraised him all in on the flop. He's much more likely to fold there then fold in either step the way you did it.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:09 PM

I think the post flop check raise was okay, but the fact that he called a pre and post flop raise you have to put him on a Q or JJ,TT,99, IMO most likely AQ. Especially with no reasonable draws on the board. The problem now is, he only has $20 more with the pot already 70+ there is no way he lays any of his likely hands down which is what you need. For that reason, I think you should have shut it down after the post flop check raise. Look forward to hearing the result.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:35 PM

you alerady said he doesnt give up top pair so i think its not a good place to bluff. plus, stacks a bit too shallow. he probably thinks he may be beat but calls anyways
Old 06-02-2004, 02:01 AM

you probably pissed him off enough to make him throw his last $20 in the pot no matter what. I think he called you.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:11 AM

Im just hoping you weren't up against the douglas . . .
Old 06-02-2004, 02:35 AM

that's a horrible bluff. He called the 20 dollar raise with brief hesitation. and he only has 20 left so u can't bump up the bet on the river.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Thoughts and Results

I posted this hand because I thought it was a horrible bluff attempt. I played an overpair the exact same way a lap earlier and thought I could get him to fold top pair. I think if the stacks are a little deeper the play may have some value. As it went, he thought for a long time and finally called with KQ. Luckily for me I play good and caught a 4 on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Many people play for decades and still don't know how to play. Why would you expect someone to learn in the course of a few hands?

In one tournament, I raised in MP with KK, LP minreraised, and I pushed. He had A8! I doubled up.

On the next hand, I raised in MP with QQ, the same guy minreraised, and I pushed again (though he could only cover a pot-sized raise). He had A8 again, and he busted out. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to write into his notes, "LP min rr means A8."

So, I don't like your bluff. You have identified a weakness. Use this information to your advantage.