Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Should I just quit NL now?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed)

CO ($25)
Button ($22.95)
SB ($12.75)
Hero ($23.50)
UTG ($16.38)
UTG+1 ($14.62)
MP1 ($49)
MP2 ($16)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB folds, Hero raises to $4, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $3.50, CO folds.

Flop: ($9.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets $10, UTG+1 calls $10.

Turn: ($29.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets $0.5, UTG+1 calls $0.50.

River: ($30.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets $0.5, UTG+1 calls $0.12 (All-In).

Final Pot: $30.87

Terrible playing or opponent is a lucky sob? Until I feel I can play reasonably well postflop in NL should I stop raising out of position?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Should I just quit NL now?

although you didn't include the results i am assuming that the CO had A10 and hit his three outer on the turn?
i don't think you played this hand too bad just got beat, it happens.
what i don't get is your betting pattern. why not just put him all in on the flop? what were you trying to accomplish with leaving him .62 to call on the turn and river?
one of the most important aspects of no limit is understanding what you are trying to accomplish with the size of your bet.......every bet should have a clear and specific purpose.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:50 AM

Sorry about no results, he had J9o for a pair of 9's
Old 06-01-2004, 03:52 AM

You should stop raising out of position with AQ. It's a tricky hand after the flop. Being able to act after your opponent is key. If you do, I think it's more like a check and fold situation when you miss the flop, but a raise with AQ out of position is really kind of a semi bluff. If you are called, you need to improve on the flop to put any more money into the pot.

Personally, I limp with AQ in most positions under most circumstances. In a limped pot, you will get action on the flop against many hands that you dominate and the pot is small enough that you can get away from it if you encounter too much action.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:16 AM

I wouldn't say that you should necessarily quit NL, but I do think you overplayed your AQ. You were ahead pre-flop, but you put a lot of money in beat.

I may be over-tight, but I just don't feel that A-Q is a strong enough hand to play that aggressively.

Just my .02. Take it with a grain of salt. I still consider myself a newb.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:53 AM

First off don't just quit NL, just stop playing it like limit poker.

Big unsuited cards in NL LOSE VALUE!!!

Raising with AQ is just varianceville there and may border on being -EV. (though it depends on how you play postflop which was abyssmal here.)

Try limping with AQ and catch a flop. But the only flop you can really feel comfortable with is KJT rainbow.

AQ while its good in limit, can bust you down to the felt in NL. If AK has busted a lot of players, what do you think AQ has done???

Oh yeah, and in the BB with AQo, TAKE THE FREE FLOP!!!!!!

You would have lost NOTHING on this hand, instead you probably double him up.

Please learn from this, its a major leak from a lot of limit players moving to NL. Its like daylight and dark. 2 completely different games.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Say I'm in the BB with AQo. Everybody folds around to Cutoff who calls, button calls , SB calls. Here I would raise about 4xBB hoping to win right there. If I do get called it's unlikly I'm up against AK or AA. Do you concur?I'd also follow the Brunson advice and bet the flop whatever came other than something that might well have hit someone like JT9 all one suit.
Do you play AQs differently from AQo?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:39 AM

If you raise it up in BB and get called then you are out of position with a hand that can't take too much pressure. If you miss and bet the flop then get called, you are going to have problems along with a medium sized pot. You want to keep the pot small with the offsuit big cards, so take the free flop.

AQs is a far better hand, but I still wouldn't normally raise it as you now want people to be in if you hit.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:00 PM

I really hate AQs and AQo. I don't pop it right there to take it down. if I get called I'm out of position against someone with a hand strong enough to call a raise. TAKE THE FREE FLOP!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:41 PM

Hi bunky,

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate AQs and AQo. I don't pop it right there to take it down. if I get called I'm out of position against someone with a hand strong enough to call a raise. TAKE THE FREE FLOP!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, although I'd argue that the last sentence -- TAKE THE FREE FLOP! -- can and should be applied to almost any BB hand if there are three or more limpers in the pot, even the venerable AA.

You're probably going to end up playing this kind of pot multi-way regardless; in online play it's HUGELY unlikely for a BB raise to take down a multi-limper pot. So why give away any information about your hand? Yes, a lot of the time, you'll end up folding big pairs vs. rag flops that hit someone. Oh well. They were going to call your pre-flop raise anyway, because it was a BB raise. This way, you've put less money in the pot and are less attached to it. And if you've hit a hand, your opponents have no idea what or how or how much, because you've given them no information to work with.

It sounds extreme, but I think in NL ring play you'll never be terribly wrong to just take the free flop from the BB in a multi-limper pot, regardless of your cards.

Cris