Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Which book would be best?

Hey all,

I got some responses last week concerning what to look over and study over the summer to gradually begin improving my game. But, I'm still not sure exactly what I should do.

My question is, which book fits best for me... I mainly play $10 NL SnGs on Party and the occasional NL multi-table tournament. I'm doing OK, but not great. I'll go up big overall one day, lose some of it back the next. What book should I look into now? Sklansky's "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players?" I've heard from some that this isn't very good for NL tourneys.

Any suggestions? I'm open to anything...
Old 05-30-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Which book would be best?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

I got some responses last week concerning what to look over and study over the summer to gradually begin improving my game. But, I'm still not sure exactly what I should do.

My question is, which book fits best for me... I mainly play $10 NL SnGs on Party and the occasional NL multi-table tournament. I'm doing OK, but not great. I'll go up big overall one day, lose some of it back the next. What book should I look into now? Sklansky's "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players?" I've heard from some that this isn't very good for NL tourneys.

Any suggestions? I'm open to anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think one book will expand your game enough to make much of a difference. I will recommend four that you should eventually pick-up.

I'd probably start with McEvoy/Daughtery's new Winning NL Hold 'Em. Then, I'd progress to the same author's Championship Satellite Strategy. Then, I'd go with Tournament Poker For Advanced Players. Finally, I'd definitely recommend No-Limit/Pot-Limit Poker by Ciaffone/Rebuen.

That's the order I'd read them in. If you can only get one and the one of most value off the list, I'd go with TPFAP by Sklansky.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:53 PM

Stew,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I didn't phrase the original post correctly, but I'm not asking for just one book that will suddenly expand my game. Basically what I'm asking is for what you gave me -- some suggestions on what books to look into next, and possibly some recommended order to reading them. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:53 PM

Stew,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I didn't phrase the original post correctly, but I'm not asking for just one book that will suddenly expand my game. Basically what I'm asking is for what you gave me -- some suggestions on what books to look into next, and possibly some recommended order to reading them. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:21 PM

There is also a wealth of info on this forum (and RGP).

Greg Raymer has many great posts in the multi-table tourney forum. And there's lots of great advice in the no-limit forum.

Good luck.
JTrout.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also a wealth of info on this forum (and RGP).

Greg Raymer has many great posts in the multi-table tourney forum. And there's lots of great advice in the no-limit forum.

Good luck.
JTrout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:51 PM

I think this is an excellent set of recommendations,
although I haven't yet read their NL for beginners book.