Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Default Advice on my trip to Vegas?

I'm heading to Vegas at the end of June with 2 of my best friends, and although they don't play too much poker, I plan on playing some(as much as possible, actually) while I'm out there.

We're staying at the Mirage, and I'd really like to play in some of the tournies they run. I've seen some of the make-up on the Mirage website, and I see that they run satellites as well, but I can find no info for them there.

Question #1 - Does anyone have any info on the satellites that Pokerupdate mentions?

Also, about 2 months ago, I switched from limit play to no-limit play, and although I feel that I should switch back to limit right now to "hone up" a little before going, I know it's going to be tough for me to do.

Question #2 - What would be considered an adequate bankroll to take with me? Optimally, I'd like to be able to play for 6-8 hours per day, for at least 5 days, but am not quite sure of what limits I will play. In online experience, I've played maybe 70% $.50/$.100, 20% $1/$2, and maybe 10% $2/$4 in the limit range(over a span of 25,000 hands with a win rate of 2.4 BB/hour). I know the Mirage's lowest limit game is 3/6, which I personally have no problem playing(I'm thiking of maybe getting into 4/8, to tell the truth), but I might start at the Luxor(I hear they have a 2/4 game) for a day so I can get used to the B&M make-up.

Question #3 - Any other locals wanna get together and play a little while I'm out there?

Thanks for any replies,

'Mez
Old 05-30-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Advice on my trip to Vegas?

I was there about a month ago and played in a satellite for the Thursday NL tourney. They have recently bumped up the entry for this tourney, making it a $230 buyin with 1 $200 rebuy anytime during the first hour. The satellite was one-table (10 players) with a $55 buyin. The top 2 finishers won entry into the tourney. In the satellite, you start with T300 and blinds at 10-15, escalating every 15 minutes...basically, a super-fast structure. I played about as well as I can play and still had to get lucky 3-4 times to make the final 2.

The main tourney gives a huge advantage to those who rebuy...you start with T550 and get T1000 more for the rebuy. The blinds structure is the same as the satellite, but increase every 30 minutes, which is much better. There were 81 players in the one I played in...top 9 got paid.

I'll let someone else tackle the bankroll question, but as far as getting your feet wet in a B & M, Excalibur and Monte Carlo also have beginner friendly low-limit games.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:19 PM

I didn't like Luxor at all. Too smoky, had to help the dealers pay attention too often. The Mirage was a great room (can't speak for the tournaments), but the 3/6 game there was great. I defintely say play there or try Monte Carlo for some more low limit action.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:32 PM

I just got back from Vegas last week, and the 3/6 game at the Mirage was insanely good. Very loose, mostly passive, everyone was paying off with all kinds of crap. I also played in the 4/8 at Bellagio, which was good, but the games I played at the Mirage were awesome (maybe I just got lucky draw of tables, but man they were juicey).
Old 05-31-2004, 06:25 AM

if you are thinking of playing 4/8 i would definietly play in the bellagio 4/8 game.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:55 AM

What's the difference?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Mirage 3/6

Hey guys. Was there much of a wait for the Mirage 3/6 games? What's the rake structure?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:05 PM

The difference is that it's the lowest limit game offered there. It's much like comparing Party Poker to Poker Stars. Party Poker's lowest limit is .50/1 so that is where the fish are learning the game. At Stars, the fish can learn in a .05/.10 game and work their way up. Therefore, the .50/1 game at Stars has (in general) more players with a little bit of experience which results in a tougher game.

(Hope this makes sense)

Also, when I was out there, most people who played 4/8 bought in for $100 when they sat down.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:23 PM

The rake is a little higher at the Mirage and Bellagio, but worth it in my opinion just to be in those awesome rooms (BTW I like the Bellagio better)!
If you want $3-6 mirage, 4-8 go to the bellagio.
When I was there the $4-8 at the Bellagio the games were very juicy and the pots were monsterous.

Good luck in Vegas!

FsuPlayer
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM

I also just got back from a Memorial Day trip to Vegas and agree that the Mirage 3/6 game was ridiculously loose. Some of it may have been the holiday crowd, but there were a lot of good games. If I remember right the rake is 10% up to $3. The wait list at the Mirage moves very quickly.

I also played Bellagio 4/8, which was a little bit tighter, but still had a lot of people playing junk. If you want to play at the Bellagio, get there early (before 5pm) as I've heard the wait list can get very long (some people told me 2 hours).

If you do well in these games, I'd suggest the 6/12 at the Mirage also. I played it the last night I was there and found almost as many people playing just about anything. You do run into some good players at 6/12, but they'll be easy to pick out.