Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Limit decision with new bankroll

To preface this discussion with my results:

I've had unrealistic success on .5/10 (over 10 BB/100 after 7,000 hands)

My 1/2 results are about 3 BB/100.

Last night I won a 30+3 Party tournament for 5,500 prize. Now that I have the bankroll for 3/6 should I attempt to play that game? I've had some success at 3/6 before I had to cash out to pay my tuition, but I wasn't quite ready for the game (1.24 BB/100 but only for 2,000 hands).

With an artificial increase in bankroll is it a bad idea to just jump to 3/6 if I feel comfortable? Am I missing important things I should go through at 2/4, etc?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Limit decision with new bankroll

I'd say play 2/4 for a while and grtadually transition for 3/6, as long as you are comfortable and feel like you are getting the best of it.

There is something to be said for playing at a limit long enough to feel comfortable with the swings, and by skipping limits, you run a higher risk of experienceg a larger swing than you are comfortable with, regardless of how little/much the money means to you.

I had a -90BB day my first day of 5/10, and it really shocked my system. If I had experienced that swing after coming straight from 1/2 or 2/4 I might have lost my s---.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'd move up as quickly as possible. The quicker you move up, the better you'll be, since you'll be forced to learn to play in 2 or 3-handed pots.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I had a -90BB day my first day of 5/10, and it really shocked my system. If I had experienced that swing after coming straight from 1/2 or 2/4 I might have lost my s---.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. I was down 110 BB at 5/10 last night after about 45 minutes of 4-tabling. If I wasn't used to $10 big bets, I would've been really upset, regardless of whether I had the bankroll. I'm still pissed obviously, but it doesn't affect me because it's all part of the game.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:27 PM

I can handle the swings I'm fairly certain.. I have never had issues with that.

What I'm more concerned with is being over my head and missing important things that 2/4 would "teach me" basically.

Basically, are there good reasons besides bankroll building to climb the limits?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:32 PM

110, wow that sucks. I personally would spend/save the money and just plug away earning my way up, whats the rush??
Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 PM

i think you might miss a little bit by entirely skipping 2/4. imo, the games are a bit tougher overall at 3/6 than 2/4....but i've run into quite a few 3/6 morons as well.

i don't think you would be missing THAT much though....as long as you are prepared to possibly lose a big chunk of that bank-roll then go ahead and give it a try....

that is, if it's completely expendable to you (which i assume it is since you didn't even have it not too long ago).

however, my recommendation would be to at least spend a little while at 2/4.
wouldn't kill you to play a few hundred hands there at least for an hour or three (or longer).

if you test out 2/4 and say 'hmmmm...these guys are a bit trickier than i expected' then you can stay there a little longer.

if your immediate impression is 'these guys suck...i'm a God!!' then you can move up WITH the understanding that your short-term impressions of 2/4 may not have been entirely accurate.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Thanks for the suggestions

I had a +80 BB session at 3/6 today and about +20 at 2/4.

I was running really well, and made some really bad plays adjusting to the game with less players.. so the huge session was certainly not my play alone [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think I'll play 2/4 for a bit and keep my eye on the 3/6 games for one that looks real good until I'm a bit more adjusted.

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the suggestions

Blow the winnings on food, alcohol and drugs. That pretty much what i did, aside from some investing.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With an artificial increase in bankroll is it a bad idea to just jump to 3/6 if I feel comfortable? Am I missing important things I should go through at 2/4, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this, but I strongly believe that you do not need to play X number of hands at one limit before you move up to the next.

Maybe you need to play 20,000 or 50,000 to PROVE that you are a winning player at $2/$4 and might win at $3/$6 - HOWEVER, you don't need 20,000 or 50,000 to "KNOW" you are a winning player.

If you "KNOW" you are a winning player and can beat $3/$6, then go for it.

If it means anything to you, I skipped the whole "win money at $2/$4" thing. Went to $3/$6 after not doing too well in $2/$4 and here I am at $5/$10 with the proper bankroll at everybody else's expense.

Just because you can't prove you're a winner doesn't mean that you aren't. If you feel you can beat $3/$6, give it a shot... though I recommend you consider dropping back after a downswing in the -75BB department. If that happens there might be some things in your game you need to evaluate at the lower limits before proceeding.