Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 03:34 AM

Default Too much?

Nothing teaches agression like No Limit tournaments. I came right off 5 sit and gos into this ringgame, I think I was going a bit too fast here:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets $2.75 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (28 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in) </font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 28 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 25 BB, between SB, UTG, UTG+1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (25 BB).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 3 BB, between SB, UTG+1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (3 BB).</font>

SB had me worried. Cold-calling two the entire way. I had him on an OESD. UTGs limp-cap preflop could mean anything. I was a bit puzzled by him betting into me on each street, but since he was short stacked I felt he was just looking to get all his money in and hope for the best.
When the second ten dropped I checked behind because SOME of these guys got to have a part of the flop right?

Results in white below: <font color="white">
In short: Complete miss on all reads.
SB shows 9s As (one pair, tens).
UTG shows Ad Ac (two pair, aces and tens).
UTG+1 shows Jc Jd (two pair, jacks and tens).
Hero shows Kh Kd (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: UTG wins 25 BB. Hero wins 3 BB.
</font>
Old 05-26-2004, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Too much?

I get greedy and bet the river. You played the rest of the hand fine, perhaps you played the river fine. I hope you won this massive pot.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:41 AM

With UTG being nearly all-in, he could have anything as most players who end up all-in are poor players and are often on tilt.

Value bet the river.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 05-26-2004, 08:00 AM

As Joe Tall said, UTG being nearly all-in makes this much aggression fine. For one thing he may be overplaying junk and not care about the few dollars he has left. For another thing the sooner you get him all in the sooner you can start building the side pot. Even if you are behind UTG you probably have the rest beat. You did well until you checked the river through.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 AM

capped the turn but check through the river?

the fact that utg is all in makes it more likely you can win additional money from 3rd or 4th best hands if you are indeed behind the all in player.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:03 AM

Thank you for the replies guys.

I agree on the river bet in retrospect. At the time I was a bit scared of the 10, I figured some of that must have a part of that flop since they refused to muck after several raises. I missed my a mile on all reads though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

With the only real "opposition" in the hand all-in, I guess its time to start working on the sidepot.

k