Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 PM

Default up down and back up

I've had a reoccuring pattern over some months. When I start a new site and or new limit, I do very well at the start, hit a rough patch, leave that site (or limit) for a while, come back and do very well again. The down times have been more break even than down and overall my BB/100 has been good. But, it has been a pattern that has repeated itself numerous times and I believe it is more than just the ups and downs of poker because of how many times the exact same thing has happened. I play a lot of hours and rarely take a day off, so I'm thinking it might be boredom and a tendency to loosen up slightly because I'm not afraid of it anymore. Is this a typical thing for many players and how to you combat it or does it go away as you become more experienced (I've been playing full time at money tables since the new year). Additionally, how many hours, days a week do most players play. I play about 50 to 60 hours per week I would guess.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:46 AM

Default Re: up down and back up

Three ideas. You decide if any fit you.

1. The pattern is an illusion. You play well so you win most of the time. Eventually the inevitable speedbump comes and you quit. Your results are random and the only real pattern is your decision to quit when you're doing badly.

2. You have a style of play that can be greatly exploited by knowledgeable opponents. You win until too many of your opponents figure out what you do. Then it gets harder. You may make matters worse by not effectively studying your opponents so that the knowledge situation becomes one-sided.

3. You tilt on losing streaks. This might be discouragement or lack of confidence rather than something dramatic. Changing sites fixes your state of mind.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 PM

I like what stellar worte so I'll try to address your other question. I think 50-60 hours a week is too much for you. I'm not trying to knock on you, and this is based purely off what and how you wrote your post, but I think you have much to learn. I spend nearly an equal time studying as I do playing every day. I only have about 300 posts on here currently but have read 1000s. I read and reread books. I go over hand histories. I chat with poker buddies about strategy and concepts. I go over notes from my poker "coach", and much more. These are the things you should be doing. I just see too many people who think they know how to play (not saying you are one of them) and just want to make money. The people who can put their pride/arrogance/ego aside and say "I need to learn more/ I can get better/ I need help" are the ones that will make it in poker. I try to treat poker like any other business that I would own. I'll do the research nessasary to make sure the business will be profitable and then some first. I play while I'm learning (as I said about 50/50) because I am aware that the experience and knowing how to properly apply what I've learned is critical to the survival of my business. I just don't get in over my head.

The real answer to how much you should play a week is up to the individual. You play as long as you feel like and are playing well. You don't play if you're bored, tired, have something on your mind... on and on... Play when you want to and are comfortable and I don't believe there is a limit. But go in to each session trying to not only win but to make yourself better.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:31 AM

I understand what you are saying however I was in the situation where the 3rd month I was playing I HAD to pay the rent with my winnings. This meant that I tried to learn as much as possible but I had to win in the short term - hence the long hours of playing. I am slowly building up my bank rolls and saving up right now and advancing in levels so my hourly rate is higher. I'm getting closer to the point where I can play less and learn more but I am learning at the tables as much as I can. The last month I've started to understand HPFAP much more than I used to and I am starting to see how things apply. One thing I wish is that I knew someone who played. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to talk to someone else who plays and I think this is a big hinderance, especially a the start, but that's just the way it is.

Just as an aside, I've read HPFAP and TOP. Which ones would you suggest next? Is Holdem Poker a good read as well or what would be a good addition? I appreciate the input.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:26 PM

Under the circumstances you've got to do what you've go to do. It may not be the ideal way to get in to poker but it seems like you're making the most if it. Nearly every player I know of agrees that there is no substitute for experience, so learning at the table isn't such a bad thing. It's just cheaper to do it on your own time. And I do suggest not moving up in limits because you have the bankroll for it. These moves should be when you feel ready and have the bankroll to support it. I still play a lot of .50/1 eventhough I have the bankroll to move up to 3/6 or maybe higher (depending on this months bills). I still play a lot of .50/1 because it's super profitable and I still have leaks to plug. I believe these leaks that now maybe cost me say $10/per 8 hrs would cost 3-4 times that at 3/6. So, in learning as you go along it's much more cost effective to learn at the lower limits. As far as not knowing anyone who plays, worry not. You have each one of us here at 2+2 that are here to help you out in the hopes that you can help us out too. It should be a cycling of information.

For your next read I would suggest Winning Low Limit Hold'em (WLLH) by Lee Jones. It's the best low-limit specific book available currently. Hold'em Poker by Sklansky can probably wait. I just started it yesterday myself and read many books before it. It seems to be much more basic but I assume it will still be well worth the read. Good luck at the tables.

p.s. get pokertracker if you already haven't, and find someone who can go over your hand histories and review them. the feedback from this is priceless.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:09 AM

I have poker tracker and about 30k hands from Empire. So the question is where do I find someone to abuse me?