Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 03:21 PM

Default 3/6 Hand for Review

3/6 9 handed live game. Texture is similar to typical party game.

MP annoying table coach type, but solid. No read on BB, but cutoff and UTG are loose.

I'm on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG limps, MP raises, cutoff calls, I call, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls

Flop comes 256 rainbow /w 6 heart. BB checks, UTG checks, MP bets, cutoff calls, I raise, BB folds, UTG calls, MP three-bets, everyone calls

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG checks, MP bets, cutoff calls, I raise, UTG folds, MP calls, cutoff calls

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] MP bets, cutoff folds, I raise, MP three-bets, I cap, MP calls

MP flips over pocket queens, I show my flush and take it down. MP then goes off on me for the next ten minutes saying I was a horrible player and how the fish always get so lucky etc. Looking back I think I played the hand fine. Thoughts???
Old 05-25-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Hand for Review

Is this a joke?
If it isn't, please tell me why your play is fine. It should be obvious why others would disagree.

If I were your opponents I would think its fine. But if you were playing with my money, I would shoot you.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:28 PM

Looks fine to me except the river. Make two fists, rub them on your eyes, mockingly say "boohoo" and move on to the next hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit #1: wait. I just noticed there was a raise preflop and only one heart on the flop. This changes everything. Let me re-analyze.

Edit #2: ok I changed my mind. That was pretty bad dude sorry to say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You're raising the flop with a gutshot straight draw and a runner-runner flush draw that may not be the best.

On the turn you're still on a non-nut draw and raising.

On the river you're capping with what might not even be the best hand.

That, and fold preflop. I don't know what the heck I read the first time.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:33 PM

your play seems semi-maniacal to me..

just looking from the flop on...
you have an inside straight draw...and two barely over cards...and a 3 flush...and you raise?

turn.you pick up a flush draw...and still have the inside straight..and no more over cards...and you raise again?

river...you catch your flush...and it's a small one...but since it was a runner runner...i'm guessing it's probably good....(and it was)

i would say borderline maniac...
Old 05-25-2004, 03:33 PM

I fold pre flop.

I don't like the flop raise, if it were heads up against the PFR it might be different. But you've got other people in the hand and basically all you've got is a gut shot and a back door. On a tighter table I think this would have been a good play, but in this circumstance I think its just throwing money away

The turn raise is horrible. MP has already shown you he really likes his hand with the flop 3 bet. You really think he's going to fold? You don't have enough people in the hand to raise for value.

I don't think you played this hand very well at all. MP is still an ahole for table coaching tho. I would use his image of me against him in the future hands by playing tight and hopefully he's on tilt so you get lots more of his money
Old 05-25-2004, 03:39 PM

Lemme see...I'm 50/50 on calling this PF, but that seems weak and may be a leak in my game. Okay, let's say I call.

10.33 SB's in the pot on the flop, plus the MP/CO 2, and you've 6 outs if you count the backdoor flush as 2. Well, this is no value raise, although a call is good. Is there any chance of taking it down with a single 8 or 9? Doesn't really seem like it, so raising to drive out overcards probably won't work either- and you want them in when you hit your flush/straight anyway. I think this is a bad raise.

On the turn, you have 13 outs, theres no way in hell your hand is best right now and you *want everyone in* if you hit. Your raise is terrible.

I like your river play [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2004, 03:39 PM

Ultra easy fold preflop...

Your flop raise is fine to get a free card when you mis on the turn.

The turn raise makes no sense, it isn't going to work as a semi bluff because you won't win the pot even 1% of the time (you need about 15%).

Your river play was fine I think, I would also put him on trips Q or T. The board isn't paired and only a higher flush beats you but that's almost impossible considering the way MP played.

To recap:
Your preflop play was terrible...
Your flop play was good when you were planning to take the free card when you wouldn't hit.
Your turn play was terrible because you're not going to win it right here and you know you're behind.
River play was good.

So I think you made a couple of very big mistakes...

Hope this helps and the MP shouldn't whine about it and be glad you're at his table (at least I would be [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Good luck,

Guido
Old 05-25-2004, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Preflop: It was a pretty loose table. I though between SB and BB there would be a caller, as well as UTG and cutoff. Isn't five way action enough for 98s from the button?

Flop: My raise was a bluff for the free card but also if MP reraised I could safely put him on an over pair.

Turn: Ok yea it was bad. The straight flush draw was why, but with only 12 outs it was stupid.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't five way action enough for 98s from the button?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not IMO when there was a raise. When there wasn't I even call 67 but not after a raise I think it's a clear fold.

Guido
Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM

Preflop: Hideous of course.

Flop: Gutshot, backdoor flush draw and 2 overcards. I don't think the raise is bad. MP could be auto-betting big overcards and I don't mind cleaning up my overcards. Then the 3-bet comes. Ruh-roh. Time to start rooting for the gutshot.

Turn: I have no idea what this raise is trying to accomplish.

River: Why not, I guess.

Played fine = Not this hand.