Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 04:13 PM

Default precipitous fall

Stars 1/2--I don't play a lot as my time at one table might be no more than one hour. This is a clear example of what has happened to me on more than one occasion. Doing nicely with minimal play and win 55BB over 7 sessions--then it happens--cards are horrible---lose 2BB, go to another table lose 2.5 BB--cards are horrible--go to anothe table and lose 3BB--cards are horrible-go to another table and lose 2BB--cards are horrible--got to another table and lose 20BB mainly on one suck hand which I would usually never play--Tilt, I know, but any answers to the emotional aspect of how to pick yourself up from the tables way before when I knew the cards are horrible--can you predict a bad day and pull out? I know I'm asking a lot but please give it a fling--Part of my psyche says that I can't possibly lose and have to win(this is bad ,I know)when I get in these situations. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: precipitous fall

Set a limit?

Do you have an idea of your std deviation? Would it be so bad to set a limit at one std deviation? That should be a clue to come back here, re-read the books, analyze some old hands, take a break. I think it's hard for short session players to quit while they're behind, but since you don't have the time to wait for things to average out, you have to have the discipline.

Remember the cliche: yadda, yadda, yadda, "It's all one long poker game", yadda, yadda, yadda.

I also use Poker Tracker during the session to watch the hands I've been dealt. I actually replay some during the lull. If PT tells me I made decent decisions, I feel better about my play, and I blame my loss on bad luck. If I find a bunch of weak starting hands in my histories, I blame the cards and switch sites.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:07 PM

I don't have a standard deviation but I plan to invest in PokerTracker--Your advice on playing over the hands during the game is much appreciated for I feel that can stabilize me in what I consider an emotional desire which must but won't be sated--yes, yadda,yadda,yadda the game is forever but I won't live that long. Thanks much and good luck.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:08 PM

Don't change tables because you're getting bad cards. The table doesn't know what you got dealt. If you are getting the best of it at the table you are at then stay there.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:22 PM

This again makes sense for even if I have a bad run and stay at the one table I don't believe I'll lose as much--in the original post I left after 2-3BB which is really marginal but by changing tables I've relegated myself to 4 2-3 BB losses followed by the big one---the cards don't know the difference between tables(online anyway)--when I leave I mistakenly believe that I'm saving myself when in reality I'm lost and start playing badly(previously it was the cards but now it's me)--I've spotted the beast 3 tables worth of small losses which add up and lead to the bigger one.I hope this makes sense and thanks much.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:34 PM

changing tables will have 0 effect on what cards you are getting. the cards don't remember what you had last time.

If you're delt AA in one hand. You are just as likely as anybody else on that table to get AA on the very next hand.

The reasons to switch tables isn't because your cards are bad, but if the game isn't good anymore i.e. poker pros at your table and super tightness.

the reason to stop all together is if you don't feel like you're playing your A game. or if you have to poo.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:57 PM

Again, great advice on this site--I understand completely--in this particular instance I wasn't playing badly or getting beat by superior play but became frustrated with the cards and then proceeded to beat myself(someone had to , didn't they?- as the loser in me rolls on).Appreciated muchly.