Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Party Poker 5/10 question

I was wondering what should be your starting bankroll if you play 4 tables at the same time of $5/$10 limit holdem on party poker? Next question... I play more than one table and basically just wait for pocket 99-AA and AK&AQ and muck everything else. It seems to work in lower limit games and I can manage playing four tables at the same time doing this - is this a good course of action or would I make more dollars watching the players closely and only playing 1 or 2 tables? Thanks, Chad Minneapolis,MN
Old 05-23-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Party Poker 5/10 question

if you play 4 tables and wait for only aa-99 ak and aq you are giving up quite a bit on every table.

aa-99=6*6 +AK(16) +AQ(16)=68 hands out of 1326.

sometimes those hands won't even win and what about all those times its a good idea to play drawing hands or lower pairs or other suited aces, or KQs, or KJs or KTs or other hands that play well in most party games?

for every one of those hands you choose not to play when its correct to do so you give up a certain % of your expected value for that table. in effect, it costs you more to play 4 tables in that manner than it would to play 1 table well because you'd be playing FAR more hands at 1 table using the correct strategy than you would at all 4 tables combined playing your 68 hands.

-Barron
Old 05-23-2004, 05:18 PM

If I just wanted to have a set amount of hands that I would play in early,middle, and late position - what would they be? Thanks for the help. Chuck.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:31 PM

there is absolutely NO SET # OF HANDS to play anywhere. for example (taken from poker essays I, II, or III- don't remember which)

the title of the essay is "Playing 15%" or some such title.

mason says that a great holdem player tends to play on average 15% of their hands. but in some spots they play way more and in some spots far fewer.

for example...if a TIGHT UTG raises and you have KQs, you fold. after this tight raiser you are really only playin AA-TT, AKo and AKs...thats it because all other hands are likely dominated and you may even toss JJ and TT if you really knew the player. thats around 2-3% of your hands.

but what if you're on the button with 5 limpers to you? you'd now play virtually any playable hand. thats as high as 40% of your hands.

so in some instances you play very tight, and in others very loose...its all about when is correct to do each.

also, you're playing this game as if its just get money in preflop with the best hand. its seems you're neglecting postflop play entirely...if i were you i'd play ONE table and really concentrate on preflop AND moreso postflop play! thats where the money is...not in playint 68 or 106 or 203 hands and waiting for them.

-Barron
Old 05-23-2004, 05:59 PM

Sounds like someone is trying to tweak their winholdem bot.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:00 PM

you should have 300 big bets, or $3,000 at least, but i would recommend more for the shorthanded games, like $5,000.

also burn hellmuth's book! that top 10 hands thing is really only for someone who wants a quick fix to success at the bottom level of poker. it make win you money at the lower limit games, but not as much as you could win by playing proper.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:16 PM

I agree with what you are saying, but b/c I am still not a great player after the flop, I like to almost always go in with the best hand and as another person mentions, it does work on lower limit games... I only started playing seriously about a year ago and have read many poker books, but it seems that when I use the principles in skalansky's book I have much crazier jumps in my money that I'm not as comfortable with as i do playing super tight. I play in minneapolis quite a bit also, and when i play in the 8/16 games there it takes me a long time to win much, but when so many people are playing such horrible cards and chasing seems to work... I realize it isn't "perfect poker" by any means though... Similar things seem to happen on party poker when I play in games during the night where players are playing such bad cards aggressively....
Old 05-23-2004, 08:24 PM

With the risk of getting flamed for saying this, I will recommend purchasing Turbo Texas Hold'em. I purchased this just for practicing post flop play and it made a tremendous improvement in my post flop play as I was playing the very loose Pacific 3/6 tables. TTH has an option to get dealt all hands that (they think) should be called and use this to practice post flop play.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still not a great player after the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I play in minneapolis quite a bit also, and when i play in the 8/16 games there it takes me a long time to win much

[/ QUOTE ]

Move to the 6/12 and practice. It's a great game.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 PM

if youre trying this at the 5/10 level I strongly suggest you move down in levels and practice actually playing.