Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 01:19 AM

Default How do you play this?

You start off the hand with 2700 chips in the middle stages of a tournament. The average is about 3500. Blinds are 100/200. You get 10/10 in an early middle position..one limper before you. You raise to 750 trying to thin out the pot. Unfortunately, you get 5 callers...one is all-in so and one of the callers is the big blind, so you'll be 3rd to act. The flop is 345. BB checks and early position checks. What do you do here?

With the pot at 3100, I pushed my remaining 1950 in. I got a great flop with no overcards and I had to make a big bet to force the others out. Well, late position folds, but the big blind calls...with 4/7. A 4 comes on the turn, and I got eliminated from the tournament. How does the BB call a preflop raise with junk and then call an additional 2000 on the flop with middle pair and a cruddy kicker? Anyway, is there any other way to play this that doesn't want to make me punch a wall?
Old 05-22-2004, 05:36 AM

Default Re: How do you play this?

If there were no limpers before you, I think you played impecably. But, the limper changes things. With the limper, and 12 1/2 times the BB, I would think about limping, playing for the set or overpair. Which of course, you got. But at least your flop bet would be more than twice the pot.

The way you played it, you know that at least the limper will go along. That leaves you fearing any J,Q,K, or A on the board. Yikes.

WARNING: I ain't no expert.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the BB call a preflop raise with junk and then call an additional 2000 on the flop with middle pair and a cruddy kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

A player bad enough to call with this hand preflop after a raise (reguardless of being the BB)... Is probably also bad enough to look at his hand and think he flopped a straight...."whoops I'm on the draw... thought I flopped it"
Old 05-22-2004, 07:15 AM

Are you joking ? You got the money in as favourite and got outdraw - note: noone wants to hear bad beat stories.