Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 09:16 PM

Default How would you play this?

Here’s a hand that came up last night and I’m wondering how other people would play this.

Table: 3/6, 10 person, on PokerStars, typical/tight aggressive

Hand:
Pre-Flop: UTG, 2P, SB, BB all limp in.

Flop: [Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]][10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]][Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Play
SB – checks
BB – Bets. All you know of the BB is he has won a few hands from LP with aggressive betting. The only hand you’ve seen is a [A][K] that he missed the flop on, continued to bet aggressive and caught a [A] on the river.

Here is the situation:
UTG – you have [5][5]. If the BB is bluffing you probably have best hand. If he has a [10] or a [Q] then you need to pick up a [5] to win the hand. You also have 1 more person to play after you. The pot is $15 and the bet is $3 giving you 5 to 1 to draw the [5]. The problem is the odds to draw the [5] are 10 to 1 with 2 cards to come.

What is your play? Fold, Call, or Raise? And why?

Later I’ll write in what happen.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Re: How would you play this?

Fold.
I wouldn't even waste the effort to think about this hand because the pot is not worth bothering about.
If the pot was bigger you'd have a reason to get involved.
As it is you have to put in 6 to win 15. 'Cos I ain't calling.

The non-existent pot is the key thing on this hand. I could well take a stab at it if there'd been no bet to you, but there is.

Micro-pot + Chance we're drawing slim to none + Dude behind us who has a good chance of hitting this flop = Fuggedaboutit
Old 05-21-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: How would you play this?

[ QUOTE ]
Table: 3/6, 10 person, on PokerStars, typical/tight aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

Cash out and open a Party account... (Just kidding, I have accounts at both and each site has its merits).

As for the hand (55), I fold. Calling is clearly the worst option. I don't think BB has a T (he probably would have waited to the turn or check/raised if he did). But that doesn't mean you're ahead, or that he'll fold to a raise. Also, if the player behind you just smooth calls, you have no idea if that means Tx, Qx, KJ, J9, etc.

The pot is small, not worth the effort here, IMO.

(EDIT): In other words, the same thing Shaft said. Can ya dig it?