Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 06:59 AM

Default 5/10 shorthanded a whole different beast.

Help me out a bit, how'd i play this hand?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (3 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Js Qd (one pair, queens).
Hero shows Td Ah (one pair, tens).
Outcome: SB wins 11 BB. </font>
Old 05-19-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: 5/10 shorthanded a whole different beast.

Played it fine, impossible to put SB on toppair unless you have a very good read on him. I dont think you can check river in this spot, if that is what you thought about. Normally he will have a T with worse kicker or a draw.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:11 PM

I disagree, I think you might have to consider the possibility that the SB was looking to check-raise the flop. I think you have to check the river down here as many hands beat you. If the SB turned a T with a weaker kicker(the only hand you can beat really), I doubt he would even lead out into the preflop raiser who could have been slowplaying a big hand on the flop. I'd probably just go into check-call on the turn and river and a case can even be made for simply mucking your hand on the turn.
-Andy
Old 05-19-2004, 12:36 PM

I think it depends 100% on the opponent

if he is passive and can call with a pair of 8's or Ace high, then a bet on the River is correct...if he's sharper and will fold a busted Ace-high flush draw, or a 98 hand, then check.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 PM

I think the big problem is you are wearing a detoilet sucks jersey (but I won't bring that up again)
Old 05-19-2004, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the SB turned a T with a weaker kicker(the only hand you can beat really), I doubt he would even lead out into the preflop raiser who could have been slowplaying a big hand on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was sitting in first position, and the other 2 checked behind me and I hit 2nd pair on turn I would bet almost 100%. Is honestly your first thought when noone bet flop behind you: "aha, they are slowplaying"? How often is a check from preflopraiser on flop a slowplay and how often a true sign of weakness? I would say that you should normally think he didint connect with flop.

If noone bet flop and I was first in I would also often bet with medium pocketpairs or a draw, I would also bet as a bluff now and then.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably just go into check-call on the turn and river and a case can even be made for simply mucking your hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking about our Hero now? Noone bet flop and you hit 2nd pair, top kicker and you can make a case of folding to a bet? I can understand checking river after raising turn and getting called in 2 spots - because yes, as you say, pair of Qs and trying to cr flop is possible - but folding this on turn must be a big misstake against any decent SH player.

I also think you will be called by many worse hands then a pair of Ts if you bet river. Pot is pretty big, you dont have to catch a busted draw to often to make a call with lower pair ok.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:25 PM

I like the turn raise, but against unknown opponents, I might opt to check the river. I doubt MP will bet on the end without having a superior hand. When your turn raise failed to knock any opponents out, that should've given you the hint.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:23 PM

lol, that is not an image of me. That's Daniel Negreanu, probably Canada's best poker player. The most well known forsure.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:27 PM

Yea, the sb on the turn did fire out fairly quickly. Uhh maybe with the cold caller behind me, as some of you said I should of checked the river. I still think raising the river is correct though, the only question is what would I do to a 3 bet? or what would I do the PF-raiser now 3 bet.? I think I'd have to muck, these guys were so aggressive last night, It's possible.