Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 10:39 AM

Default 2/4 at Party

Hi!

Is there really someone who has been winning significantly over a longer period of time ( half a year or even a year)at Party 2/4 or lower. I play there since January 2004 but can only break even. Without rake I'd be a winner however.
I think I'm just too untalented for more.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Re: 2/4 at Party

I've played there since januari and have won a lot there and I know from others that it can be done. It's possible to win about 2.5BB/hour I think. Post some hands and we will help you. Playing break-even isn't bad and you're just a small step away from becoming a winning player.

Good luck,

Guido
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 AM

Yah. Many have done it. Start posting hands and some of the better posters will help you out. As Guido said, breaking even is not far from start showing a small profit. And before you know it, you're making 3.5BB/100. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 11:42 AM

There is some impressive money to be made at the 2/4 and 3/6 levels on party. About 6 months ago when you could only play 3 tables (now you can play 4) I took a $400 buyin up to $3000 in 2 weeks of rigorous play (about 110 hours I believe). I was probably running a little ahead of where I should have been. But yeah, play 4 tables and only play the best hands and its impossible to lose really. I just started back up again (haven't been doing well in the live games) and it feels great to be back in free money land. I don't know why I ever stopped.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 AM

I don't know what "significantly" or "extended period" mean to you at the micros, but here are my stats:
14,000 hands, 220 hours from Dec 03 to today at .50/1 -- 4.07 BB/hour, 6.35 BB/100hands

4,500 hands, 67 hours from March 04 to today at 2/4 -- 1.8 BB/hour, 2.67 BB/100 hands

I credit most of my wins to Theory of Poker and HEPFAP. You must read those, and read and/or post here regularly.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:13 PM

I'm up 4 BB/100 hands over about 20K hands and more like 6 BB/100 hands over the past 6K hands.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM

1/2 and .5/1 can absolutely be beaten. Just wait for good cards, raise them, and pay attention to pot odds. They'll pay you off.

2/4 however... after 15000 hands I'm up 7 BB (while actively searching for any possible leaks). They only call when you're beaten or they have odds to draw so you end up winning small pots and losing big ones.

For the successful players at 2/4, are your profits coming from:
- Creative bluffing and brave stabs at pots noone seems to want?
- Superior hand reading with finely tuned lay downs?
- Superior player reads?
- Hyper-aggression that pushes people off their hands?
- Traps and deception?

I play fairly straightforward and rarely bluff (adding some deception to keep people in), but find that to be a breakeven game. (VP$IP 17%, Raise 7.5%, W$WSF 26.5%, W$SD 56%, down .22 in the BB, down .20 in the SB???)

I'm beginning to think you have to be a poker genius to beat 2/4. 2/4 seems to be much more than just math and good cards.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:00 PM

20K hands isn't that much and 6K means nothing because I've only played 15K hands at 2/4 myself at Party and I don't think my personal results mean much. That's why I'm not saying my BB/100 hands is x. I just said what I think is very well possible.

Guido
Old 05-18-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the successful players at 2/4, are your profits coming from:
- Creative bluffing and brave stabs at pots noone seems to want?
- Superior hand reading with finely tuned lay downs?
- Superior player reads?
- Hyper-aggression that pushes people off their hands?
- Traps and deception?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play my good hands fast and make a lot of laydowns when I'm beaten. I don't read players much because I'm playing 4 tables at once (or two tables while watching TV). I rarely slowplay without the nuts, as 2/4 players will pay off like an ATM if given the opportunity. I am aggressive enough to push people off their hands when AKs misses completely, but don't make a habit of being hyperaggressive. Mostly I play straightforward ABC poker without getting too fancy. At 2/4 this seems the most profitable play. My biggest leak is from staying in with stuff like QQ when an A hits.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm beginning to think you have to be a poker genius to beat 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not true, they play terrible and when you can't beat them your doing something very wrong.

Post some hands I you will find your leaks.

Guido