Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 05:49 AM

Default \"OIC\" SnG Bankroll Exercise Update

I am a participant of the SnG Bankroll Exercise proposed by ajizzle a few weeks ago. Since the original thread is old, and a bit cluttered, I decided to start a new one. I’m curious how the rest of you are faring.

A couple of notes: Originally, I decided to amend the exercise and move up when I had 20x the buy-in, instead of 10. I ditched this idea almost immediately because I realized I’d have 20x the lower level if I kicked back down. Also, FletchJr. called me a wimp [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

While most conducted the exercise on Party, I used Stars. I began the exercise at the $5.50 level on April 25 with a $89.75 bankroll.

My bankroll is currently $274.57, although that includes a seventh-place finish in a 1200-player, $3 multi (the greatest accomplishment of my short poker career [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), minus the $30 I blew on a $10 rebuy a few days later.

I followed the buy-in guidelines strictly, but played two 2-table tourneys at the $5.50 level. My calculations are mostly manual, with a little help from the ghetto spreadsheet that came with my computer, so please forgive any mistakes.

Total tournaments -- 86
In the money -- 41.8%
1st place -- 13
2nd place -- 14
3rd place -- 9
Average finish -- 4.65
ROI -- 16.4%

I’ve played in four tournaments at the $22 level, and placed in two of them.

Since I’ve been recording my results, I’ve learned the value of an accurate journal. This has been the biggest revelation of the process. A few observations:

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] About half of my quick losses at the early level were due to idiotic bluffs, where I fired two or three shells at a pot and lost. Since that discovery, I’ve plugged the leak by rarely bluffing early, and very rarely past the first steal bet.

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I have an issue big-betting or calling big bets with mediocre overpairs (9s have been particularly damaging). I’ve adopted a loose policy to either flop a set or fold on scary boards, especially early, and pursue the hand cautiously when called or reraised when the board shows undercards. Although I’m sure I’ve folded the best hand on occasion, this has helped tremendously.

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I’ve learned to be patient on, or near, the bubble. I often got hyper-aggressive with a decent stack once six-handed. When it works, it’s great, when it doesn’t it costs me money. I have tightened up considerably unless I need to make a move.

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Pushing against sets sucks. Getting a set outdrawn sucks more.

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] There is a noticeable difference between the $5.50, $11 and $22 levels at Stars, and it’s not just the exponential reduction in chat [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I got over the difference very quickly at the $11 level, and can only hope the same happens at $22.

I realize these stats are laughable compared to those of some of the vets out there, but I’m pretty psyched about my performance so far. Winning, if only a little at a time, has been very satisfying.

Unless this idea has died, I’ll post again when I make another significant jump, or hit a wall.

Hope everyone else is doing well,

Bill
Old 05-18-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: \"OIC\" SnG Bankroll Exercise Update

Looks to me like your about 50 50 heads up. A good investment might be a few 5.50 heads up SNG's at pokerstars to get a better feel heads up. This will make you alot more money in the long haul. Correct me if I'm wrong but 1 st gets 5.5 buyin's and sec. in about 1/2 that.