Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 04:52 AM

Default AKs $200NL

I'm fairly new to the game in MP with AKs in hearts, $200 stack,
2 limpers, 1 of which is really terrible, but I'm basing it from only one hand where he(has me covered) called $14 cold preflop with J8o in a threeway pot.
I make it $12 to go, a player in LP calls(has me covered), I don't respect his play at all, his call here could literally mean any two cards, he's not clueless however.
First limper folds, 14forJ8o calls.

Flop JTx (x being a 3 or 4) rainbow

Check, I bet $20, LP minraises, first guy folds.

Now on my other table I did get sucked out on very shortly prior to this with a rivered flush, and I was little mad so it's known.

At the time, I thought he had a draw, I called.

The turn was a blank, was a four or six.

I checked into about a $120 pot now, he bet $30. I had played not a lot with, but some with this opponent and his bet seemed odd here, I called again.

The river came a King.

If I bet here, he will certainly not fold a better hand and will likely fold if he was bluffing. So I checked with the intention of calling. He went all-in.

I called.

I'm a big fan of giving up on AK when you miss especially against players who I don't respect. This time happened to be different, his bets seemed very odd to me and I really felt I held the best hand the entire way.

Comments?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Re: AKs $200NL

Well, since you said he is not clueless, he saw you raise 7X the BB Preflop, but was not scared on the flop and bet

Your call probably has him thinking overcards.

Same action on the turn, he bets, you call.

Then despite the king on the river (completing str8s and two pairs) he goes all in.

I would say that he hit his str8 or his two pair on the river and takes it down.

JW
Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM

I prefer a check on the flop against these types of loose opponents. You may not respect their game, but if they're playing their hands suspecting you have the precise two cards that you have, it's going to be tough to get into a good situation. Especially so since catching an A or K on this flop is a somewhat precarious situation to begin. I agree with calling the additional twenty dollars on the flop, provided you play well when you hit your hand, same thing on the turn. (Although I question your read of his hand, but assuming that is likely I agree with your play.)On the river I disagree with your play and thought process. IME they are loathe to bluff when "your" card hits and they are last to act. It's just not how I see the typical opponent's mindstate. As such I think the river is a clear fold the way you played it. But I would have bet (small) in any event (and folded to a raise).
Old 05-18-2004, 12:20 PM

I am not positive Josie, but I think the BB is $4 here, so he raised 3BBs to $12.

It looks like he has some weird two pair, a set or a straight. The king was not scary to him at all, as he could have checked behind you when it hit.
You said he was bad, so you cant be sure, but it looks like he is trying to keep it cheap for you and string along your overcards and hope they hit.
I cant imagine with that betting that you are ahead here, but I hope it worked out for you.

FsuPlayer
Old 05-18-2004, 12:42 PM

First hand I'd put your opponent on is KJ (two pair). Second is JJ/TT for the "slowplayed" set. Third, and somewhat unlikely, would be AQ for the rivered straight. My guess is that your opponent put you on AK, and played you accordingly. When that last K fell, he knew that you'd probably call his all-in bet.

Hate to say it, but I don't think you were able to take the pot in this hand.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:05 PM

I rarely play a hand in this fashion. I really dislike AK especially on this board with two players who could hold such a wide range of hands.
The Big Blind is $2 to clear that up.
The player in question is not the type of player to bet such a large amount with a strong hand, he would instead bet small enough to get a call trying to get some value.
I think my preflop play is fine. I also thought my river play was fine, although being there and knowing the opponent would help. I was more not sure about my flop and turn play.

In the end, I called, Opponent showed A7s for Ace high. I was leading the whole way.