Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

Is the subject of this book No-Limit Texas Hold'em

tournament techniques?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

There is one chapter that covers a few no-limit ideas. Other than that it is geared to limit. That is not to say that you should not read it if you play only no-limit, you should. Most of the material can be applied to both and some of the ideas can easily be modified.

Lost Wages
Old 05-17-2004, 05:56 PM

In a sense, it's not really about no-limit or limit, but rather how to adapt your ring game to tournament situations. It assumes you are a successful ring game player in whatever game you play, and it helps you think about what extra things you need to take into consideration when you're in a tournament. There are hand examples from many different types of games (sort of like Theory of Poker).
Old 05-17-2004, 09:36 PM

I think "Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem" by Cloutier is a superior book.

Of course the Sklansky fanatics will jump all over me for that but I found TPFAP to be lacking much in substance.

The Cloutier book is written by one of poker's greatest players and has many great examples and gems of information. TPFAP is written by a theorist and seems to me to have a few good passages and lots of filler.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:16 PM

Default I\'m not trying to start anything here...

I hope no one interprets this as an attack. Its simply a question I feel I should ask considering that I may be buying TPFAP at some point.

But has D. Sklansky ever won any kind of a big tourny? Has he ever contended? What is his record in the WSOP like?

For all I know he may have 6 bracelets so I'm just asking because I've never seen him or even heard his name mentioned regarding any tournament. We can throw Malmuth's name in there as well I suppose although that's a bit off topic. Where are our 2+2 icons when it comes to tournaments? I wish they were more well represented in that area, I guess they just don't play much.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: I\'m not trying to start anything here...

[ QUOTE ]
I hope no one interprets this as an attack. Its simply a question I feel I should ask considering that I may be buying TPFAP at some point.

But has D. Sklansky ever won any kind of a big tourny? Has he ever contended? What is his record in the WSOP like?

For all I know he may have 6 bracelets so I'm just asking because I've never seen him or even heard his name mentioned regarding any tournament. We can throw Malmuth's name in there as well I suppose although that's a bit off topic. Where are our 2+2 icons when it comes to tournaments? I wish they were more well represented in that area, I guess they just don't play much.

[/ QUOTE ]

David has three, Mason has none.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think "Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem" by Cloutier is a superior book.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, that is the worst poker book I have ever read. It is the only poker book that made me feel like I got conned out of the price of the book.

I'm not saying, "It's not as good as Sklansky's book."

I'm saying, "It's not as good as the worst poker book I had previously ever read."
Old 05-18-2004, 04:12 AM

Default Consider Waiting...New Tourney Books Soon...

in another post Malmuth said that 2+2 is currently working on a 2 volume tourney series by Dan Harrington that will be released later this year...