Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 09:08 AM

Default what did KGB have?

in the movie, Rounders, the final hand at the end of the movie, KGB and McDermott are heads up, mcdermott with a chip advantage. he looks down at 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and doubles the blind in the big blind. KGB calls.

flop comes T 6 7 rainbow. he flopped the "BRAJOOL". he checks. KGB bets $2,000. what does he have?

turn comes a very nice DOOKIE. MCD checks, KGB bets pot. the dookie hasn't helped him, what, if any, information does that give when he bets the pot?

river is an Ace of spades. MCD checks again. KGB tells him the "ace could not have helped him." WTF? and goes all in, MCD calls.

wtf did kgb have?
Old 05-17-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Re: what did KGB have?

if I had to guess? 67 two pair
Old 05-17-2004, 09:34 AM

check out:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...art=1&vc=1

Don't know how to tidy the link up like evryone else does but I'm sure you'll forgive me
Old 05-17-2004, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf did kgb have?

[/ QUOTE ]

If KGB is the solid NL player that we believe him to be, his only reasonable holding is a totally busted hand or a very small piece of the board.

Remember that Mike convinced KGB that he was on a draw. If that's true, then the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] could not have completed Mike's hand. As such, there is no reason for Teddy to bet any of his medium-strength hands for value on the river, like 67, AT, or whatever. Really, he shouldn't bet any of his hands with any sort of showdown value. The one exception would be if he thought Mike had something like 88 or 99 for the busted gutshot, in which KGB will have to bet his one-pair hands worse than 88 or 99 to make Mike fold.

I guess you can argue that since KGB was on tilt that he could make the painfully bad play of betting two-pair (or some such hand) in that spot, but I'm not buying it.

The Bear
Old 05-17-2004, 10:43 AM

I have seen Rounders so many times, and have wondered myself. Well, I actually bought the book and read it, hoping I would find out. Although the book has a few extras in it (it goes beyond the trip to the airport at the end), it doesn't show you KGBs hand. HOWEVER....

There is a chapter early in the book where KGB is playing NLHE with some other people. I don't remember the hand exactly, but an A comes on the river after much furious betting between KGB and .. I forget the players name, let's just say Joe. Anyways, the Ace comes off on the river, and words are exchanged, and the two get it all, Joe says something like, "That Ace could not have helped, beat this, spikes!" And flips over AA for the rivered set and nuts, but it's not the nuts, KGB has 2 4os for the rivered wheel.

So, I think they took the cool part of that scene, and I bet KGB has AA in the final hand of the movie. His tilty play makes sense for AA, I think.

My 2 cents.