Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 04:23 PM

Default Home Tourney Question

I frequently host $20 and $40 buy-in No Limit tournaments at my house, and last tourament a problem came up that I did not know how to handle. My friend called and told me that he was going to be about an hour late for the tournament. In order to get the tournament finished at a decent hour, we had to start without him, so he agreed to just blinding himself away until he got there. The question I had was, if he is being blinded away, does he still get dealt hands? And, if he were in the big blind and the hand was checked all the way to the river (very unlikey, but i'm asking hypothetically), would he be able to win the hand if he had made the best hand? Just an interesting quirk that came up during my last tournament.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Home Tourney Question

[ QUOTE ]
I frequently host $20 and $40 buy-in No Limit tournaments at my house, and last tourament a problem came up that I did not know how to handle. My friend called and told me that he was going to be about an hour late for the tournament. In order to get the tournament finished at a decent hour, we had to start without him, so he agreed to just blinding himself away until he got there. The question I had was, if he is being blinded away, does he still get dealt hands? And, if he were in the big blind and the hand was checked all the way to the river (very unlikey, but i'm asking hypothetically), would he be able to win the hand if he had made the best hand? Just an interesting quirk that came up during my last tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

He should be dealt cards and yes, if the hand were checked down and he was in the Big Blind, then he would be eligible to win the pot. That's how the home tourney I run works.

However, some have a post and fold policy. Meaning, if a player is not there to play his hand. his hand is folded if the player is unable to take action in a reasonable time, whether or not it gets checked to that player or not. Once it gets to the player pre flop, if he fails to act (by not being there) then those cards are mucked.

Either way though, that player is definitely dealt cards, since he is posting a blind, his seat gets cards.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The question I had was, if he is being blinded away, does he still get dealt hands? And, if he were in the big blind and the hand was checked all the way to the river (very unlikey, but i'm asking hypothetically), would he be able to win the hand if he had made the best hand? Just an interesting quirk that came up during my last tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is always delt in. In poker a player's hand must be folded if he is not there to act when it is his turn. In other words there is no "auto-check" - a check, bet or fold is action that the player must declair. So as soon as the action is on that player's hand whether it is raised or not the hand must be folded if the player is not present.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He should be dealt cards and yes, if the hand were checked down and he was in the Big Blind, then he would be eligible to win the pot. That's how the home tourney I run works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether it's "correct" or not, that's they way we do it, too. Of course, all of our players are smart enough that, if folded to them in the SB, they'll raise it when the BB is absent.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the help. Yes, i know that most players in their right minds would raise when up against just the absent BB, but I was considering a far-fetched hypothetical. However, your other suggestions were very helpful. Thanks again, Andrew