Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Axo and good players.

I have a question to all the very good players that occationally honour us with a visit down at the micro forum:

Can you play Axo profitable at low limit tables?

k
Old 05-15-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Axo and good players.

Axo... no.
I can't see any reason to play this easily dominated hand. I'm not certain but am willing to wager that it has a -EV. I forsee an occasional win and a lot of losses with playing this hand. For me it's an auto muck unless the circumstances are correct to play it. Which can be quite rare.
Axs... yes.
If there are a lot of players in the pot and you're in late position it is sometimes a good idea to call and maybe even raise under the correct circumstances. The logic being that most micro-limit tables are loose and if you hit the flush you're getting paid off and winning a nice pot. Even raising for value after flopping a 4-flush is not a bad idea.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:30 PM

A7o is the lowest x I play outside the blinds and I only play this low if I can openraise it from the Button.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you play Axo profitable at low limit tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the game texture ?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:41 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

A9o is about as low as id go. And that's from CO or later. SB id complete with any A.

The problem is in the small limits it's usually multiway. and Axo sucks multiway. Think of the type of hands that play better in the given texture of the table.

b
Old 05-15-2004, 02:51 PM

Ok thank you for the input guys, much appreciated.

Tosh I'm not sure what you mean by texture, typical party 0.5/1 when the maniacs are out drinking and watching football. Loose and passive with a few thight passives thrown in the mix. That sort of thing.

The reason I asked is that lately I've done a few open raises in LP/Button with Axo and it seems to be ok. I could just have had a lucky run though.

k
Old 05-15-2004, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB id complete with any A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I think this is a pretty bad rule of thumb at micro limits. I toss anything lower than A9 and the A9 usually goes too unless I'm in a really good mood or something.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SB id complete with any A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I think this is a pretty bad rule of thumb at micro limits. I toss anything lower than A9 and the A9 usually goes too unless I'm in a really good mood or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Unless 3 other calls and me I'll play any Axs but Axo I won't play unless A10o.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Well there are going to be two situations. Either you get a weak limper or two or half the world calls. If there's only a limper or two then it's very possible that you have the only Ace. If there are 5 limpers to you, you're being offered like 12 to 1 on your call with ginormous implied odds.

I do think completing in the SB with nearly any Ace can be profitable.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Default this brings up something i have been mulling over

i am currently rereading WLLHE, and in it jones encourages a raise in late position preflop with A10o and A9o (see esp page 47 -- second edition). Well, while i think the book is good and has improved my game, I simply cant stomach this for some reason.

maybe someone can set me straight here, but it seems to me this is a marginal call AT BEST, and is certainl,y not worthy of a raise. I have been usually folding A9o in late position, and will play A10 IF i can be pretty darn sure no one is going to raise behind me. (Safe to say I am usually folding this hand in earlier postions.) In any even I am loath to raise in this situation.

Am i being too tight? or is jones right? I'm inclined to disagree with him on this point, but if I'm wrong I certainly wont begrudge anyone correcting me.