Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Learn To Play Poker at Party Poker!

I just saw this commercial on Fox News Channel for Party Poker. I had the sound down and just caught the tail end of ad, but I saw "come learn to play poker at the largest online shcool"...or some such. Just wondering with all the changes that had to be made on the WPT, and government coming down on poker site adds...is this a new marketing scheme for Party? Anybody see this? Looks like a good idea, come "learn" to play poker...
Old 05-14-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Learn To Play Poker at Party Poker!

Yes, I believe it is there new marketing scheme. I have not seen the ad, but I have heard that it is for PartyPoker.net (not .com), which is not for real money gambling. Cute maneouver...

OnlinePokerCoach.com
Old 05-14-2004, 11:49 PM

it is a very cute and clever maneuver indeed.

at no point in the commercial do they say that you can 'play for real money' or 'win big bucks'....it's just 'come learn poker at partypoker.NET'

obviously anyone that comes to the play-money tables at the dot-net site becomes targeted for their real-money dot-com site.

i thought that some of the ads were being shown on local-cable companies...but i have learned that they are being shown nationally also.

my Dad watches CNBC almost constantly. he reported seeing an ad or two for 'party dot-net' while the CNBC stock-ticker was still at the bottom of the screen. the ticker gets covered up for local spots...so the fact that the ticker was still there indicates it is a national spot.

he has been visiting family in Ohio and West virgina lately and reports seeing the same ads on CNBC in both states from various hotel rooms and relatives' homes.

it seems to me that party may be coming after the 'stock day-trader' type of crowd by hitting CNBC so heavily. probably not a bad idea as i can see day-trading (or just 'playing the market' in general) to have silimarities to internet-poker.

it may be more general than that though.....a sales-rep may have been able to show Party that the CNBC viewer-base is the most 'internet-saavy' crowd on TV....as well as having a generally higher income-base.

in cable-TV advertising...it's not necessarily about the total number of viewers...it can also be about the type of viewers you're reaching.
that's why there are so many golf-based ads on CNBC....a far greater percentage of CNBC viewers are interested in golf.

also interesting that Fox-News would accept the party ad. fox is a more conservative news-channel, and one assumes that some of their commentators on Fox are in the 'Online Gambling is Destroying Our Country' contingent.
but, again, if one assumes that Fox can market their more conservative (or Republican) viewer base as having generally higher and disposable incomes, then Party's ads there make some sense.

obviously, i find this whole wave of Party ads to be very interesting indeed.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:01 AM

I've been seeing these commercials for months. Sometimes on basic cable, and a whole lot on local telecasts of MLB games (I believe on Comcast Sports Net, but not on the broadcast station that also shows some of the games).

Whatever Party is doing, I hope they keep it up. Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 AM

it's interesting...because i watch a lot of sports and still have yet to see an ad. a few others have reported seeing them on MLB telecasts.
i think someone mentioned the Padres....and someone else mentioned Detroit, but I dont know if it was during a Tigers game.

good observation that they are not being picked up by the local channel that carries some of the games but are on Comcast.

espeically interesting that you are reporting this from Maryland so I am assuming you are referring to Baltimore Orioles games (but i thought that was HTS?? maybe you watch the Phillies). obviously Baltimore is the team that is followed the most in Washington DC so they very easily could be reaching some of the nation's lawmakers.

we don't get any 'local-channel' games in memphis. we get some of the St. Louis games that are on Fox-regional-sports....and we get a ton of Atlanta games on Turner-South (as well as TBS and TNT).

since there are no 'local' channel games here i suspect i won't be seeing ads anytime soon....unless, of course, i look for them on CNBC....but the boredom factor of CNBC would likely adversely affect my poker game.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it also interesting that Fox-News would accept the party ad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have been a local insert on the cable, not sure, just caught the tail end and had the sound down(at work).

By the by...I'd loved to sit in on a table with Sean Hanity, or IRL with any of the Fox news babes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2004, 02:44 AM

My dad called me up tonight to tell me about a Party add on Fox news. SW Virginia, so I'm guessing these weren't local.

I'd also like to play some games with Jane Skinner
Old 05-15-2004, 03:00 AM

you mean you don't think that party is trying to specifically hit that heavy-income Applachian market??

just kidding.

these party ads seem to be popping up quite a bit lately. CNBC, Fox-News and major league baseball. very very cool.
and to be perfectly honest, i've been running across a few more bet-anything-all-the-way fishies lately and it could very possibly be partly connected to the ads.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:10 AM

The cotton trade isn't what it used to be...

but seriously, the lowest limits are back the way I like them, tardo! and I can't help bet think these adds are a big reason for it. Durn it, I loves party poker
Old 05-16-2004, 02:18 AM

Does anyone else find Fox News an odd--and more than slightly ironic--place to sideways advertise online gambling that is ostensibly illegal? CNBC seems like an ideal audience, but Fox?