Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 03:48 PM

Default 2 hands from $20 NL multi on Party - 20 players left

The first hand was with 16 players left and the blinds at 500/1000. I had T20,000 which was average. Folded to me in MP with pocket 99 and I raise to 3xBB. Next player pushes all in with T13,000 and the big blind pushes with about T17,000.

If I call and lose I would still have enough to stage a comeback and make the final table. If I win the hand I am the chip leader. Is this a situation where I should call and hope for the best even though I know I am way behind? I would doubt that AK and AQ are the hands being played here so I have to assume at least one pair bigger than 9's. Pocket 10's flopped a set and beat pocket K's - I would have made a straight which doesn't really matter since I wasn't in the pot. It is a longshot but is this the kind of risk you need to take to finish in the top 3?

The second hand was at the final table. I had about T24,000 and picked up pocket JJ in early position. Blinds were 1500/3000 and the 2nd biggest stack at the table was to my right and limped in. He was at my table when it was down to 20 players and did the same thing and was slowplaying pocket AA. I pushed and was called by the limper who showed pocket KK. I busted out in 9th when I didn't catch a miracle hand.

Should I have considered calling the limper to see the flop even though I would risk an all-in behind me? Should I have heard alarms going off in my head when he limped? I felt it was quite possible he was trying to see a cheap flop with 55 or KQ since the chip leader was to my left.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Bump - 46 views and no feedback! help!

bump
Old 05-13-2004, 11:54 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from $20 NL multi on Party - 20 players left

About the 1st hand: I think the fold is correct. Your best scenarios give you 40-45 % chance to win, and an overpair and two over cards give you around 18% chance. I also disagree on your prospects with only 3000, when the average is 20,000 and the bb is 1000. I think a player in that situation is basically on death row.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:33 AM

I agree with both plays. For the 1st hand there's no need to get involved in a pot where you're probably a big dog, you can't call expecting to be far ahead.

The second hand was just bad timing.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:50 AM

First hand, the fold was definitely right, not even close. Yes, you have to take some chances to place high in these things, but that doesn't mean calling an all-in raiser and caller with 99. *Maybe* you could think about calling in that situation with AK, hoping to triple up, but even that would be shadowy.

Second hand, it depends on your read. Had you seen him open-limp from early position any other time besides the AA hand? If not, you might be better to fold, or if you felt comfortable playing against him, call the 3000. If somebody comes over the top, and he folds, you could take your chance with a somewhat disguised JJ- depending on your read. If nobody raises, you have position on him, with (approx.) implied odds to flop a set if you think he'll go to the felt with AA or KK.