Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Default How long can you hold your breath?

One of those hands where you think you're ahead, but a lot of cards won't be good for you. I would think that there were reasonable alternatives on every street.

Online 15/30. 3 limpers to me in the cutoff. I have Ah Jd. I just limp, intentionally trying to keep the pot smaller. Ha! Button and both blinds play along.

Flop Js Ts 9s.

Both blinds and UTG check. EP bets and MP calls. The thought actually crossed my mind that I would be better off folding here, but I raised. I won't like a spade, a 7,8,9,10, Q or K. Button calls 2 cold, both blinds fold, UTG calls 2 cold and EP and MP call. 17 sb's in the pot.

Here is where I started holding my breath.

Turn is 3h.

Checked to me and I bet. All 4 call.

River is Ad.

checked to me again, and breathing a little easier I bet. Now the button comes to life and raises ??? UTG folds, EP calls and MP folds.

I can't come up with a hand that he would bet this way that beats me, so I 3 bet. Button calls and EP folds.

What do you think?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: How long can you hold your breath?

[ QUOTE ]
I have Ah Jd. I just limp, intentionally trying to keep the pot smaller

[/ QUOTE ]

don't get fancy. just raise.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:28 AM

30-40 seconds. A friend of mine did it for over 4 minutes in a hot tub while drunk....

anyways, I think that you are beat. I wouldn't 3-bet. Seeing as though this is PartyPoker, he either has Q9, QK. Or the worst hand of all time. That seems to be the way these posts go..... How about K7 for the double gut-shot and one spade

Kelly......GO FLAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:30 AM

I like the 3-bet because it folded EP and that just might have won the hand for you.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:52 AM

I would think KQ is the most logical but I dont know why he is drawing with this board three [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (maybe AT with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or KQ with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])...Good raise if you get EP to fold either way. I think that makes your chances a lot better and prolly makes that raise +EV.

Interesting hand...I want to hear your results.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of those hands where you think you're ahead, but a lot of cards won't be good for you. I would think that there were reasonable alternatives on every street.

Online 15/30. 3 limpers to me in the cutoff. I have Ah Jd. I just limp, intentionally trying to keep the pot smaller. Ha! Button and both blinds play along.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm speachless davidross. weve played together anumber of times and i think id buddylist PM you if i saw this showdown saying raise preflop. why? because when you limp the pot may be smaller but the odds the remaining players get to play are way higher. 2.66:1 on your limp for the button vs. 3.66:2=1.83:1. further the hand you have doesn't WANT anybody to play and if they all play their all getting the odds to draw out on you here like they were. wouldn't you MUCH rather have played the JT9 one suited board heads up? makes it much easier no? plus you wouldn't have to fear ALL of those cards necessarily and be holding your breath for the board to fall as it did.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop Js Ts 9s.

Both blinds and UTG check. EP bets and MP calls. The thought actually crossed my mind that I would be better off folding here, but I raised. I won't like a spade, a 7,8,9,10, Q or K. Button calls 2 cold, both blinds fold, UTG calls 2 cold and EP and MP call. 17 sb's in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding. give the man a cookie.

[ QUOTE ]

Here is where I started holding my breath.

Turn is 3h.

Checked to me and I bet. All 4 call.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, what are you going to do with all these post flop cookies?

[ QUOTE ]

River is Ad.

checked to me again, and breathing a little easier I bet. Now the button comes to life and raises ??? UTG folds, EP calls and MP folds.

I can't come up with a hand that he would bet this way that beats me, so I 3 bet. Button calls and EP folds.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

river is debateable but i think he probably spiked two pair or something as if he had a low flush he'd be a retard to play it that way, same as the straight. a set would also come to life much earlier...he probably has like at or a9 with the suited ace. in fact he may even have the naked ace and hit his top pair no kicker but puts you on a big pair not aces.

so, davidross, what have we learned here despite the cookie's we've accumulated?
-Barron
Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

In a 15/30 game, I would raise here 100% of the time. You've probably got the best hand. AK and AQ would not have limped in, so domination is not a concern. You will buy the button a large percentage of the time, giving you a much better positional advantage to play out the hand. You will also avoid giving the SB and BB an opportunity to play junk hands for free.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think KQ is the most logical but I dont know why he is drawing with this board three [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (maybe AT with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or KQ with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])...Good raise if you get EP to fold either way. I think that makes your chances a lot better and prolly makes that raise +EV.

Interesting hand...I want to hear your results.

[/ QUOTE ]

KQ made a straight after the flop.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:40 AM

Default WOOPS, did i ever misread that post. 3limpers lol. n/m

Old 05-13-2004, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the 3-bet because it folded EP and that just might have won the hand for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What possible hand could EP fold here that beats David's top two?