Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Poker Server Question?

Hi, I just found out about this site after reading "Theory of Poker" and I had a question on which I would like some input. I have about $200 that I have made from home games (mostly .50 BB NL) and I would like to use it to create an internet account on a poker server. I would most likely play 1-2 and 2-4 with this stack (right?). I am a solid, leaning towards tight player who is capable of making good laydowns and reads but is somewhat hesitant to gamble it up too much. Which server do you think would suit me and my needs best? To clarify, by server I mean PokerRoom, UltimateBet, Popular Poker, etc.
Thanks in advance for the help,
Andrew
Old 05-13-2004, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Poker Server Question?

Well, the old saying would be Party. I'm not sure how the other games are as of today since I only play there right now. Pacific is suppose to be good to, only allows one table though, but that may not be a problem for you.

I'd stick to .5/1 for a little longer, building up your BR a little more. Depends on what your goal is of course. If you can deposit more, you might want to play some 1/2. I'm talking about fixed limit though.

Before you sign up at any Poker site, I'd recommend you look around and try to find an affiliate to sign up through. It's a must imo. It'll add a lot to your total earnings. Anything else, feel free to ask.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:04 AM

Thanks alot for the comments Saborian. I agree that I should probably start at .5/1 as well, I just was getting a bit ahead of myself. I feel like a noob asking this, but... what exactly is an affiliate? I'm sorry, I just have never heard the term. Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:33 AM

We're all newbies at the beginning. Especially Trix.

An Affiliate is someone who's promoting the poker site in question. The affiliates get money for marketing the poker site. They either get a fixed sum of money, or a % of the rake the player they got to sign up generates. Most, if not all, affiliates usually attract new players by splitting the profit they make on the player. So by signing up through an affiliate that offers your a decent deal you'll be able to increase your hourly profit quite substantially.

I wish I had known about this when I created my Party account. Worth a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 10:53 AM

There are several good choices. It depends on part in what you want.

1. Go to www.pokerpulse.com. They are the Nielsen ratings of online poker. That will show you whether the site you are considering has a lot of players. I suggest you avoid small sites. Game selection is limited and you run an increased risk that they will either go bankrupt or just plain steal your money.

2. Party Poker with its "skins" (Empire, etc.) is by far the biggest site. A skin is a different interface/brand name for the same underlying site and games. Party offers the best game selection and is famous for its numerous bad players. This is also the site where the whole affiliate/rakeback issue is a big deal. Most of the other major sites only pay small bounties (e.g. $50) to affiliates for new players so there is no deal making.

3. The problem with Party is that they are bad at almost everything else: infamous customer service, software troubles, tolerating nasty players, lack of a long track record, very high rake, etc.

4. I currently play at Paradise Poker, the #3 player in the industry. The games are definitely tougher but most of the players are still terrible. Paradise is a class act with better software, good customer service, and an established reputation. In short, you will make less money but enjoy it more.

5. PokerStars (#2) and UltimateBet (#4) have good reputations but not particularly easy games. They are good choices.

6. Pacific Poker (#6) is notorious for slow software. They do not allow multitabling. The games are supposed to be very good, possibly better than Party, but remember you won't play as many hands.

7. Ladbrokes (#5) does not accept U.S. accounts. No opinion except to observe that very few of the European members on this forum choose to play there.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice and input you guys shared. I will do a bit more research independently, using the info you guys have me, and try to figure out which server is right for me. I will probably just spend a couple hours checking out each site and seeing how I like it. Thanks for all the help, and I look forward to making a bunch more posts on these forums.
Thanks again,
Andrew
Old 05-13-2004, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're all newbies at the beginning. Especially Trix.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 09:10 PM

Uh oh. I must've typed that in my sleep.

Or maybe I was just trying to see if you DO read every post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 09:18 PM

I´m still the newbie who reads ALL the posts.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:31 AM

I'd like to drunkenly state that Trix and Tosh think they're so high and mighty with their Pooh-bah lounge and blah blah blah. My point is made.