Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Standard No-Limit Rules

Are there standard rules for a no limit game somewhere on the web or in a rule book? Things like:

1) You can't take money off the table
2) It's not a raise unless it's at least the size of the previous bet (stopping people from raising a little less then a almost all in player, then to re-pop all in to trap others.)
3) If you show your cards during a hand, then it's declared dead (more of a tourney rule).

I would just like to find a complete list on hand to avoid conflicts in my home game.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Answers as far as i am aware.

rule 1 varies from place to place, you should be able to take money off the table, but it is generally frowned upon since you most likely won it from someone else and are no longer giving them the possibility of getting it back.

Rule 2 is correct, a raise must be at least twice the previous bet unless the person is going all in and then someone may not reraise the all in if they already called the original bet if the all in is not as big as the bet since the all in is a half bet, etc...

Rule 3 is true anywhere you go, if you show your cards during a hand, it is dead. if i played anywhere where they didnt have this rule i would leave immediately.

i would recommend going to homepokertourney.com to look at rules/setups for homegames.

goodluck!
Ryan
Old 05-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Answers as far as i am aware.

[ QUOTE ]
rule 1 varies from place to place, you should be able to take money off the table,

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree. allowing people to take money off the table is going to turn any game into a rockfest where everyone plays tiny stacks.

I have never played in a public card room that allows you to take money off the table in big bet games.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-12-2004, 04:37 PM

In our home game, we let people take money off the table, provided they keep above the minimum of 100BB. It's not a rock fest.

I think it's important to let people pick a stack size they are comfortable playing.

Personally I like to have around 150-200BB. I'm not comfortable risking more than that on one hand. We have a maniac who likes to push all-in on the flop with top pair. I have to keep him honest, so I call with two pair or better whenever he does this. By keeping my stack around 150BB, I can reduce my variance and still make a nice profit.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rule 3 is true anywhere you go, if you show your cards during a hand, it is dead. if i played anywhere where they didnt have this rule i would leave immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a relatively new rule? I was reading Super/System and was surprised to see that Brunson advocates showing your hand and deciding whether to call an all-in or not based on the other guy's reaction. (I think the situation is when you have AA and the board comes up trips, like 444).
Old 05-12-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Standard No-Limit Rules

Robert's Rules of Poker available here in HTML and MS Word versions.

http://www.diamondcs.net/~thecoach/
Old 05-13-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Standard No-Limit Rules

Thanks felson, that is exactly what I was looking for!