Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 12:08 PM

Default How to Questions for the Pros:

In reading dcfir's post, I started thinking about what it takes to be a professional poker player. I consider myself an above average player, who plays between 15 and 30 hours a week between UB and Foxwoods. I make very good money at my "real" job, but the amounts of money you guys are taking about gambling with here seem incredibly high to me. I would love to be able to make more money playing poker, but to do that I obvioulsy have to either play more, play better, or play at higher limits. My questions to all of the pros out there are these:

1) How did you decide to make poker your full time gig?
2) How low are the lows when you're not winning?
3) How much time do you spend "working" at a table?
4) What would you suggest for someone that is seriously considering playing poker as a second "job?"

I hope these dont sound stupid, andI hope these havent been already asked and answered. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: How to Questions for the Pros:

"TheNutz" makes more money than anyone in the world is his "real" job. He has a 10k accountant and owned some major corporations or something like that. Some others have 18k rides. I'm guessing his ride is more like 60k. When you have money like that, you can play any where. And poorly if you desire.

Don't spend a cent of your bankroll and when you get up to 300 big bets at the next level, move up and play that level. If you get a beat down, crawl back and get better or stay where they don't beat you down.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 PM

Your hourly rate is a prime piece of information when considering turning Pro. If make $30/hour in an 8-5 job which comes to about $42/hour considering benefits you should probably NOT turn pro if you are currently making $20/hour. Online folks need to translate their winnings into $/hour.

You'll need health insurance. Realistically catastrophic insurance may be best where there is perhaps a $10,000 deductible. That means you may spend 10,000 in a year before you get help.

Another is this: if you have a real job and play poker when you can, then you are probably playing poker during optimum poker-playing time when there are lots of fish doing likewise: evenings. If you turn pro you are likely to play at off hours which MAY reduce your overall win rate (exception: you sleep until 4pm and then play all night against tired losing tourists). I am suggesting that the casual competant player makes more $/hour than he would as a full-time pro.

Best poker is evenings and at night. That should interfere with normal family life.

Lows are really low, especially if you let normal lows become serious lows. They are going to happen. I'd hold off turning pro until you hit such a low just to see if you can handle it.

Its a real hard way to make an easy living. Be sure you are making a LOT of money at it before turning pro. Unless you are 20. Then go for it. At least you'll have stories for the Nephews when you are 40.

- Louie
Old 05-12-2004, 12:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

health insurance is dirt cheap for single young men
Old 05-12-2004, 01:07 PM

2. Frankly they don't really affect me much but I am well bankrolled.

3. If I'm running good as little as 10 hours a week. If I'm not as much as 40. I know, not very professional.

4. I played semi pro at 20 hours a week for about a year on top of my day job while building my bankroll. It sucked. Working two jobs sucks. I don't recommend it for anyone.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:26 PM

If it takes more than 19 hours of play to decided whether or not you should turn pro, you just aren't being decisive enough.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 AM

He didn't say he's only played 19hrs. He said that's his average time per week.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:17 AM

actually, dynasty was making a vieled reference to himself.

he decided to become a pro after only 19 hours of low limit no ante stud play in foxwoods. he packed up and moved to vegas three years ago to the day on May 10, 2004.

this was posted on the news, views, and gossip forum but not everybody reads all forums. i happen to enjoy the story and dynasty is relating this querry to his own experience.

take care.
-Barron
Old 05-13-2004, 03:18 AM

I have started putting money away from my paychecks and all my poker winnings to build up a good bankroll. My problem is i would have to move around a lot to get to places where I can play poker. And my two young daughters need me at home right now. So I play online and the samll cards rooms for the forseeable future. So far so good. I have built up 12k without my paycheck additions so far in the last little while.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks for clearing that up dc. I thought he was being a smarta$$ too, but now i know better. So, Dynasty, three years now after only 19 hours at the woods, huh? Is it going well? I'd love to hear some stories, if you have time between "shifts."