Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Phil Hellmuth\'s Million Dollar System + Extras

I just placed an order for the DVD's. The TV offer was for Phil Hellmuth's "Million Dollar Poker System" and Phil's "Million Dollar Secrets to Bluffing and Tells" for $19.95. Then the sales rep induced me into buying two more Phil DVD's - "Tournament Poker Strategy and Winning the WSOP" and "Internet Poker Strategies" for another $19.95 On top of it all, I was offered an annual subscription to CardPlayer for $29.95... I took it all.

If anyone is interested, when I get the DVD's in "5 business days" I'll post a brief review. Of course Im not expecting something called "Million Dollar Poker System" to be groundbreaking or much more than a poker infomercial for newbies, but I think the DVD's should be interesting and entertaining and at the very least, something cool for my poker library.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth\'s Million Dollar System + Extras

Synt,

I take it you haven't read "Play Poker Like the Pros"? As another poster recently said, "fool me once..."

I'm looking forward to that review.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Hellmuth\'s Book-Very Valuable!

Not for nothin'.........but Hellmuth's book was one of the most valuable that I own. It allowed me to quickly identify people using his 'strategies', and than take their money. It is also the perfect height for propping up a door in my basement.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:32 AM

Have you read it Aces? I'm thinking of reading it just because I'd like to know what people I play against are thinking, and I've got UB bonus dollars that are doing nothing. The Hellmuth-minis are easy to spot, jamming 77 and all.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:43 PM

Yeah I read it. Actually it was the first poker book I ever read. I think Phil is too acustomed to high stakes tournaments where people will actually fold if you are super tight and aggressive. But advising beginners to raise and re-raise the flop with 77 and 2 overcards is just plain suicide.

The book is perhaps not as bad as people make it seem on this board, but its got some pretty bad stuff in it. Phil is the posterboy for "raising for information". At low limits, you almost always have to pay too much for information and also because almost no one bluffs the information is usually there for free if you choose to take it.