Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 01:52 AM

Default There\'s a maniac at the table!!

Whilst playing at a UB .25/.5 table this evening, I encountered the very definition of a maniac. After I had been at the table for about 15 or 20 minutes, this guy announced that he was going to try to buy every single pot and then proceeded to make good on his word. The table was pretty loose and the other players seemed pretty determined to keep him from getting away with it, regardless of whether they had good hands or not. I would guess that 85-90% of all betting rounds were getting capped.

What advice would you give to a newbie in this situation:

(A) Don't be a wuss. Stick around and play tight. You should learn how to play in situations like this.
(B) If you're not comfortable at that table, pack it in and find another one that you like better.
(C) None of the above.

I wussed out and left.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:34 AM

Default Re: There\'s a maniac at the table!!

The 85-90% estimate on the number of betting rounds getting capped is obviously high. I'm not sure what the percentage was, but it seemed like it was happening at least as often as it wasn't happening.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:09 AM

I would say stick around and play. You're going to go through some swings, but they're going to drop a lot of bets. As long as you're not playing on a short, irreplacable bankroll, you may as well play.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:37 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

You can beat these games just by sticking around and waiting for large pairs. I would add AK and probably AQ to the mix and go get em.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:00 AM

Maybe it makes me a wuss, but I typically leave a table like this and find one where I am more comfortable. Maybe that stunts my growth as a poker player, and maybe I'm just lazy.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:43 AM

Playing vs. manics is something you will have to learn eventually if you don't want to really limit your options.

That being said, it is most important that you feel that you can play your A game. If a maniac takes you out of that game and you you aren't in the mood to deal with learning "maniac poker", then you are better suited to move to a table that allows you to be in your zone.

I understand your discomfort with maniacs, they do make a game crazy. I played with one last night who saw 99% of his flops (can't figure out what he would actually fold!), raised about 30% of his hands (once that we saw with a 36o) bet every flop if there was no bet, raised about half the ones that were, and just took over the table. His stack was growng and shrinking like crazy, and it really wasn't much fun for me despite the fact that I was a bit ahead while he was at the table. I just went after him when I got the cards, and stayed out of hands when I couldn't push back. It's not fun, but it is a good skill to have. I can handle one maniac, sometimes 2. When the table is full of them, I usually leave - that's just too insane for my blood.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(A) Don't be a wuss. Stick around and play tight. You should learn how to play in situations like this.
(B) If you're not comfortable at that table, pack it in and find another one that you like better.
(C) None of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

To a newbie, if you're not comfortable at a table for ANY REASON, I'd leave. Other posters are right in that you've got to learn to fight the maniac some day, but if you're not comfortable with it today, just leave. Maybe later, you can come back and try again when you're more mentally ready.

One point, if you're at a 6 handed table, I'd be more inclined to leave. The maniac is playing much closer to "correct" poker at a shorthanded table. When live games start getting short handed, I will raise any pot that I'm first in, and then proceed to bet or raise the flop no matter what comes (unless I got 3-bet pre-flop). This works for me at a live game because the others are used to me folding so much at a full game that they conclude that I'm just getting a great string of cards all of a sudden, and usually get out of my way.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:14 PM

Without a doubt (B) If you're not comfortable at that table, pack it in and find another one that you like better.

The only way to beat a maniac is if you can isolate him and what will normally happen is the testosorin level will rise and EVERYBODY will try beating him.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:42 PM

This kind of game is winnable, and you should play it if:

#1) You are comfortable and will play your best game.
#2) You are willing to accept the much higher swings that come from playing against such players.

Unless both are true, the only reason to play this game is to pay for lessons. As it is, I find that in these games that if I tighten up and only play AA-JJ,AK and AQ and though it is boring it makes plenty of money.

The key thing to understand is that in this type of game, there are no moves you can make against the maniac. At best you might get in a reraise fast enough that nobody else calls and you play against the maniac by yourself. You can only win if you have the best hand after all the betting and that means picking those hands which tend to be strong without needing much help. You simply can't afford to keep seeing flops for 4 bets on hands that need good flops to win.

Some of my best sessions have been playing against this type of player. In fact, I usually know that such a person is going to bankrupt himself well before I will get much chance to take his money, but when you do get that chance it can be extremely profitable.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:57 AM

Go read HPFAP again. There are special sections on 'Playing against manics' and 'wild games'. Pretty much says what you shd do.