Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2004, 10:25 AM

Default 20-40 with Bruce Lee and Jet Li

Well, not exactly, but these two had more Hollywood in them than the real stars.

On my right is Mister Lee, a Great Blue Heron 20-40 regular, about 60 years old, a losing player. He always has an antagonizing comment for everyone else and likes to Hollywood just a little bit. For example, after losing a pot, he'll raise the next hand and announce "steam raise" and bet to the river and flip an AQ->top pair type hand - good but by no means a monster.

To his right, is a young kid telling the table that he's the "Young Heavyweight Champ" of poker. He's been announcing his hand to the table before his PF raise, then when he wins he flips over the exact hand he claimed. He's also been reading players very well - he's been controlling the table, on a big rush, announcing the other players hands and more than once being dead on. He'll raise one limper from the cutoff, announce "pocket deuce", and bet to the river against one caller he "knew was on a flush draw". And he'll be right. And after the chaser folds, he'll show his deuces. Very LAG preflop, plays very well postflop.

Mr. Lee is loose but still aggressive postflop, YHC plays very well postflop.

Anyway, the Mister Lee is sick of his big talk, and Mr. Lee announces "I chase every hand against you!"

YHC open raises from CO-2, Mister Lee predictably calls, I three-bet from the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

They're yappin away.

3 to the flop: (10.5 SB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

YHC bets, Mr. Lee raises, I three-bet, YHC calls, Mr. Lee calls.

3 to the turn: (9.75 BB) (2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

YHC bets, Mr. Lee raises.

Your action?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Re: 20-40 with Bruce Lee and Jet Li

Damn gamblor,

This situation is pretty tough in my eyes and there's a real war going inside me about what may be the right solution here.

Ok, so far I think the asian connection is now playing a personal fight and Mr. Lee wants you out of the pot to take down the youngster. No way I'm going to muck here, but I doubt that coldcalling is the right thing to do. I think I'd give them some heat and throw in a threebet.

Mr. Lee could easily play something like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and just hit TP. I put YHC on a pocket pair, with what else would he call your flop threebet and lead out the turn? You said he is playing well postflop, and he may certainly afraid to give the flushdraws a freecard.

So my advise is a threebet. Unless you're against a straight or a set you still got outs in case of two pair.

I wonder about the results and what the other posters will recommend.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 AM

They are so focused on each other's egos that they are ignoring you.

I wake them up and 3-bet the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 05-10-2004, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
YHC bets, Mr. Lee raises.

Your action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I yell out "Pocket Ace!!!" and 3-bet.

j/k (about the yelling, not the 3-bet).
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM

I guess the youngster didn't tell anyone his hand this round? The only playable hand you would be behind right now is a set, and I'm not going to put the young gun on it right now, the flop raise / stop and go just is saying overpair to the board to me. 3 bet this turn, I don't see any reasonable situation where you get capped there. Depending on the river card I'm tempted to check behind just to look these 2 up.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:52 AM

What if YHC or Mister Lee cap it?

They're not so ridiculous as to cap without good hands.

And YHC must know I have a monster.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:06 PM

YHC knows the most you have is one pair. And you might have no pair (i.e., A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

3-bet and, if necessary, call 'em down.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 PM

Good point, no one said poker players have to do reasonable things. I'd call down from a cap.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
j/k (about the yelling, not the 3-bet).

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the yelling out "Pocket Ace" here. In fact, noted poker authority Ed Miller only had one move in the 2-5 NL game at the Monte Carlo. He would fold for a couple of rounds then yell out "I have Aces! All-in!!!!!!!!"
Old 05-10-2004, 03:46 PM

I love the yelling out "Pocket Ace" here. In fact, noted poker authority Ed Miller only had one move in the 2-5 NL game at the Monte Carlo. He would fold for a couple of rounds then yell out "I have Aces! All-in!!!!!!!!"

I'm glad you mentioned this because it is yet another topic covered in my book.