Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2004, 06:17 AM

Default Ak in the BB

The setup.

NLHE event. $200 buyin (T3000), $100 rebuys (T1500), $150 Add-on (T3000). 137 players start the event. Total chips in play 1,311,000.

Payout to 20 places with first being slightly more than $28,000 and 11th being $1,050. 20th was $400 or so.

Down to 36 players and blinds are 1000/2000. I have T31,000 after posting the BB. Folded to seat 5 (T10,000) who limps. Seat 6 (T$24,000) raises to $8,000. Seat 6 just eliminated a player 7 hands earlier in an AA vs QQ confrontation and that is the only hand I have seen him play. Folded to me. I look down and find AcKc. What is the best play in this situation??

HC.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Ak in the BB

AK is my most hated hand. I have lost probably 50% of tournaments with this hand. Therefore, I suggest you muck it and wait for a more solid 22 (j/k).

Anyway, what does your opponent have. That's where you have to start your thinking. To go over the top, for 1/3 of his stack, he either has AK himself, or more probably a big PP. I think you are either at best a small dog, or a major dog.

So it's another 6k to see a flop, assuming that the original limper doesn't have a monster.

Therefore, if you feel like gambling, a call is probably best. If you hit your Ace or King or a flush draw (or even better, both), then you are in good shape to double up. Otherwise, you've just tossed away 1/5 of your stack.

This might be a muck. You have a good stack. I would much prefer being first in the pot than calling. If you were short stacked, 10-15k, then all in would be good.

gc
Old 05-10-2004, 12:38 PM

I think I'd move in here every single time.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Ak in the BB (results)

After an eternity of consideration, I moved in. I figured the raiser for a hand like JJ making me a small dog but I thought that I could steal the pot right there.

Unfortunately, I stepped head first into AA and lost a large percentage of my stack. I worked it back up to 15K again only to run head first into AA with me Holding KTh on a board of K55.

HC
Old 05-10-2004, 04:38 PM

I think this is a pretty easy push. You don't want to have to make a "big" laydown on a raggedy flop after putting in a fifth of your stack on a preflop call. Given the stack sizes, I think he will lay down a lot of hands here probably calling only w/ AA-JJ, AK. If you get called, you are probably a coin flip at best, but I think you have to be aggressive here and play on other player's fears of the bubble. If he has a monster, it's bad luck.