Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Do I just need to accept I am not very good?

I am looking for some insight from others who have hopefully been in a similiar situation. I have read most of the recommended books on playing HE(TOP,HEFAP,THEFAP,SS and several others that have not been mentioned on this forum but pertain to Hold Em). I grasp, at least I feel like I do, most of the concepts and strategies for playing solid HE. In multi table tournaments and SNG's I would honestly say I am probably up slightly or even overall. However my problem lies in the ring games; I have been donating thousands of dollars at the ring game tables. I lose, go back to the books to reread, go to poker tracker to analyze my hands, come to this forum to read posts, deposit more money, then lose,lose,lose. I move down from $0.50-1 tables to $0.10-0.50 tables, to $0.02-0.04- lose,lose,lose. The continous analysis has helped me to advance farther into the money in the multi tournies(even made a few final tables), also helped increase my percentage of time finishing in the money at the SNG's. But at the ring games- lose,lose,lose. I do realize that ring games and tournaments have different strategies, however I cannot figure out what I am doing that is so dramatically flawed in ring games that I can't even hold my own against the lowest level players; yet I can work my through good players in tournaments. I dont play rags, I don't chase(unless pot odds warrant), I don't feel I overplay. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
This post is not intended as a pity party, I am hoping to get some insight or advice that will hopefully help me turn the corner. I mostly play No Limit, however I have played limit tables with the same results.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Do I just need to accept I am not very good?

post some hands.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:58 AM

From the information you provided, there's no way of identifying what you might be doing wrong.

Do you know a winning NL ring game player that would be willing to review a couple hundred hands for you, or kibitz you while you're playing? This may be the best way to figure out what you're doing wrong.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:18 AM

I do not know a winning ring game player that would be willing to review hands; but anyone that is willing- please let me know. I thoroughly enjoy poker and, for the time being, would be happy if I could just self-sustain without depositing money everyday. Basically everything I win in tournaments and SNG's(and then some; who am I kidding- much more) is given away at the ring games.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:55 AM

Okay... this is a general reply based on what I have read...

When people say that tournament play is different from ring game play, I don't think they emphasise how different the two really are. In fact the gameplay between the two are so different that many top professional tournament poker players get completely destroyed when they enter ring games. So don't feel that you are way behind simply because you are running bad in ring games right now...

My advice to you is to focus on one particular type of game and learn it, then move onto the next one. So if you want to focus on improving your NL tournament results, simply focus on playing that until you have it clocked. If you want to focus on improving your NL ring game results then focus all of your game playing on that.

If you try to learn them all, all at once, you will end up taking twice as long... take your time, post up some hands, and keep on playing!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 AM

Hi Rob,

It may could just be a streak of bad luck, but however, try not to want too much from yourself. I know this from myself, after I read the books, I had the feeling as if I had to use every tiny piece in there, but it is too much at once. First you got to get the necessary experience and than you should add one thing after the other.

I would recommend you to start playing limit holdem, which is surely better suited for a beginner. The swings aren't that big and most times you don't have to risk your whole (playing-) stack on one hand. Try to beat them first, before you move up to the cadillac of poker. Save 2 or 3 hundred bucks and start at a 1-2$ or 2-4$ table and work yourself up. With a solid tight/agressive style the games should be beatable.

I agree with the other posters, that you don't provide very much info to give an accurate analysis of your problems (tilting, bankroll etc.).

Good luck and don't give up!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Hey.

Post hands in micro-stakes. You could email me 100 of your last hands and i'll check them out for you too, PM me if you want to.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:01 AM

"Do I just need to accept I am not very good?"

it really depends on how long you have been doing this badly. if it's only a few days / weeks, you shouldn't worry too much. just make sure you play good all the time. But if it's been more than a couple of months, you might want to re-evaluate your game. If you have been losing more than 6 months, you might have to accept that you are currently a losing player and try hard to improve your game (skills/patience/discipline)

Kenny
Old 05-10-2004, 10:29 AM

Like at least two or three others have said...Post the hands. That'll help some.

From my position I've learned and feel that micro limits are best used to sharpen your potodd calculations and odds in getting the card you need. If it's going to cost some Ya-Hooo 4 pennies to see the next card, you get a lot of "Heck...why not....it's only a nickle..." So judgeing your play based on that is suspect.

I'm very new to the game as well. And I know there's a difference between limit and no limit and ring vs. tourny. I know there is, I know there is, I know it....but very rarely has it changed my style of play. Across the board I play very tight with just a smidge of agression in there. But as I've played more and more, I've seen a greater seperation between the two.

The key for me was figuring out what my personal style preference was. Once I was able to get a grasp on that, making adjustments was a bit easier.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been donating thousands of dollars at the ring game tables. I lose, go back to the books to reread, go to poker tracker to analyze my hands, come to this forum to read posts, deposit more money, then lose,lose,lose. I move down from $0.50-1 tables to $0.10-0.50 tables, to $0.02-0.04- lose,lose,lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't pay more for your poker education than you have to. Most of us were down a little when we were learning, but slow down on your tuition payments. Focus on the play of your hands. Quality, not Quantity. Also, it sounds like you go on tilt quite a bit. Don't do it. Commit to playing tilt free for 15 minutes at a time, and build up. Stop playing if a bad beat throws you off your game.
Post problem hands here. Use bonuses as a way to subsidize your learning costs. And get a game plan together.

Don't feel obligated to play if you don't want to. But, with all that being said - I think any semi-intelligent person who has some discipline can make a some nice money online right now..

good luck