Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 PM

Default What do they mean by \"If you had gone All In, i would have called?\"

I'm fairly new to No Limit. I play it live with 5-5 blinds and $300 max buy-in.

On more than a few occasions, i've heard players I dont really respect say something like "I wish you had bet all-in instead of 'x' because i would have called."
Just last night, I had about $900 in front of me with 66 in LP. Pot is 6 way for 30 bucks each.
Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP to my right opens for $60. I make it $260 and it is folded around to MP who calls all in. Spade on the turn, blank on the river, and i take it against A8 off.

LP to my left says "Oh, i laid down T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I wish you had gone all in because i would have called you. She had about $1,200 in front of her at the time. What he heck does this mean? Do they read all-in as a bluff? Do they just want a juicier pot? Wouldn't she rather see the turn for $260 instead of $900?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: What do they mean by \"If you had gone All In, i would have called?\"

I am glad you asked that. I have heard that same thing in my home game, but we usually say it as a joke. However, maybe there is some real meaning behind it?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: What do they mean by \"If you had gone All In, i would have called?

I think the kind of people who say this thing are of the 'gambler' mindset.

If they call a bet they're faced with a tough decision on the next card. If they shove the whole thing in they don't have to think anymore.

I think it's a sign of being a poor player.

-Ben
Old 05-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: What do they mean by \"If you had gone All In, i would have called?\"

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like that one bit. Not only do I have something against max buy-ins, but if your going to set a maximum, $300 with $5-$5 blinds is way too small. I like to have at least 100 times the big blind out there. No limit can be an exciting game with much smaller blinds than that, perhaps you should try going to $1/$2. But that's not what this post was asking, so I'll just get down to business, then.

[ QUOTE ]
"Oh, i laid down T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I wish you had gone all in because i would have called you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand the logic behind some statements like this, but this one seems backwards. You're looking at implied odds for a flush draw, and an all-in kills implied odds. I think the other replies were probably correct here in that she just wanted to let it go and stop thinking.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:37 PM

Probably because she didn't want to have to face an additional big bet on the turn if a blank fell.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play at Oceans 11? That is the blind structure there, and I absolutely hate it. One, because the blinds are steep for my bankroll, and two, because the max buy-in is too small for the blinds. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I see it.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 PM

Default Ditto!

Old 05-06-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: What do they mean by \"If you had gone All In, i would have called?

[ QUOTE ]

On more than a few occasions, i've heard players I dont really respect say something like "I wish you had bet all-in instead of 'x' because i would have called."
Just last night, I had about $900 in front of me with 66 in LP. Pot is 6 way for 30 bucks each.
Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP to my right opens for $60. I make it $260 and it is folded around to MP who calls all in. Spade on the turn, blank on the river, and i take it against A8 off.

LP to my left says "Oh, i laid down T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I wish you had gone all in because i would have called you. She had about $1,200 in front of her at the time. What he heck does this mean? Do they read all-in as a bluff? Do they just want a juicier pot? Wouldn't she rather see the turn for $260 instead of $900?

[/ QUOTE ]

They think you are trying to build the pot rather than push people out. Many people read the former as a sign of strength, and the latter as a sign of weakness.

Of course, with a drawing hand it makes no sense. So who knows.

eastbay