Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Fold my flopped straight?

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here. I've been playing regularly for about a month now and make a small profit but not enough =). That's why I'm glad I found this forum.

To my question, how should I have played this hand...

No one of the players stand out, typical microlimit players.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, (All-In) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls. -- Going for a raise on the turn if no diamond..

Turn: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls. -- Damn Diamond! But you never know with microlimit players, could bet on a straight draw, calling...

River: (14.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

If I knew the Button was a decent player I would never have called but I didn't have a good read so, did I do the right thing?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Fold my flopped straight?

Raise the flop. They'll put you on a pair long before they start thinking straight.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:27 PM

Go ahead and raise after the BB led the turn. That will give you a much better idea of where you're at. Calling down with the nut straight because there are 3 flush cards on board is too weak-tight.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:56 PM

Why the PF raise? KJ, suited or not, isn't a strong hand from middle position in 9-handed games.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:06 PM

What is he suppose to do, OPEN limp in MP. It's a clear raise.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:49 PM

Raise the flop. But as it stands...

I'd raise the BB's lead bet on the turn. If he 3bets you, you'll better know where you are. However, if the button 3bets behind you and the BB caps, then you can fold. Other than that, I'm seeing this one till the end unless a diamond comes out on the river.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:03 PM

I'm iffy on the pre-flop raise, but I think you have to bet the flop here. I would also raise the turn to see where you're at.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:50 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but looking at my Poker Tracker stats show 0 wins with KJ- suited or not. PFr% 50% suited, 0 offsuit. I'm starting to think about folding KJ anytime I see it since it's cost me about 20BB so far. Other big losers include AJ (suited or not) at -27BB (with a 12.5% win rate, and JT at -17BB (0 wins).
So, based on my history with them, I'm not fond of Jacks, unless I have 2 of them.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:47 PM

Raise on the turn to gain information makes sense to me.
But why raise on the flop? If I raise I will probably not get anyone betting on the turn (unless they hit flush or straight). It seems to me that I will maximize the pot if I wait and raise on the turn.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:59 PM

At this level KJs in your position muchless any position isn't worth a raise and often unless a loose game even a call. I fold KJs or KJo in this level game. But since you got to the flop, I would bet out, you think they think you got a straight? I would be the turn here, they will raise you maybe if they have a flush. Then you can check call the river. But first off I wouldn't be in this hand preflop.